Interested in Labiaplasty, what are the risks? is it worth it?

I've been very insecure about this since I was a teenager. To the point that I can never ever show it to anyone. The labia is black ( even though I'm white ), one labia is longer then the other but both are long and cover the middle part of the vagina. I don't know why I'm like this even though my sister and mom are not like me. Im considering labiaplasty to make it look better How long do i need to stay in the hospital? Does it have a high risk? is the pain worse than breast implants? Info plz

Labiaplasty Recovery

Thank you for your question. Every form of surgery is prone to complications, and labia surgery is no exception, although serious complications are extremely rare. Your surgeon will let you know about all the potential risks in the consultation. Complications that can arise include, excessive bleeding during or after the surgery, scarring
,development of hematoma (clotting) that needs to be removed, asymmetry (where one of the labia is a different size to its partner), chronic pain, reopening of the wounds. Just remember to choose a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates 
Barrington
Oakbrook
Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty: recovery process, risks

The specific risks and suitability of these procedures for each individual can be determined only at the time of consultation. All surgical procedures have some degree of risk.
It is an outpatient procedure, which should be easier to recover from than breast surgery

Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally.It is generally low risk ws  Major complications are rare. These can include infection, bleeding, (hematoma) , separation of the incision, changes in sensation , pain, increased sensitivity, unsatisfactory cosmetic results

Labiaplasty

I just entered this conversation. I perform Intimate surgery in Dubai, labiaplasty and vaginoplasty. I do NOT perform hymenoplasty (restoration of virginity)..

This is some information from my website.
Intimate Surgery - Labiaplasty
  • This surgery has been developed for the removal of excess or uneven tissue from the labia, the folds at the margin of the vulva.
CANDIDATES:
Women who are uncomfortable with large, small or asymmetric labia, can undergo labiaplasty surgery to improve the appearance of the labia, correcting its irregularities.

OBJECTIVES:
With ageing the vulva tends to lose some of its substance and elasticity, and an aesthetic procedure can help to improve and rejuvenate the area.

INCISIONS AND TECHNIQUE:
Labiaplasty can address the labia majora (larger outer vaginal folds) to make them more or less prominent, depending on the problem. It can also treat the labia minora (the smaller interior vaginal folds) that, apart from the aesthetic complaint, can often cause chronic irritation, rubbing, or discomfort during sexual intercourse. The augmentation of the labia majora is needed in some cases after with the passing of time. This is easily executed with the injection of a semi permanent or permanent filler substance. The reduction of the labia can also be done with a laser.

OPERATING TIME
This procedure takes 30 minutes to perform.

ANESTHESIA:
This procedure can be performed under local anesthesia, local with sedation or under general anesthesia, if preferred by the patient.

IN/OUT PATIENT:
Labiaplasty is usually performed in the operating room but in selected cases surgery can be done in the office under a local anesthetic at decreased costs.

POSSIBLE COMPLICATIONS :
Infection, bleeding and delayed healing. There can be some discharge (reddish-yellow) for 4-6 weeks.

RECOVERY TIME:
One to two weeks. Stitches are usually reabsorbed, but sometimes may have to be removed.

DURATION OF RESULTS :
The labia should maintain its new aesthetic look for many years. This might change with ageing or if the patient undergoes vaginal childbirth after the procedure.
Is the use of Lasers important? The laser has many advantages when used as a scalpel. Many plastic surgeons use lasers, but there is no magic in the use of lasers. Other instruments, such as a radio-frequency cautery, can give the same results, but it is obvious that the term “laser” adds a sense of prestige to the procedure.

Luiz Toledo, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty expert in Los Angeles

Labiaplasty is an excellent procedure performed in an outpatient setting to improve the cosmetic and functional aspects of the labia minora. Our office specializes in both the trim and wedge labiaplasty techniques in Los Angeles. 

Raffy Karamanoukian MD FACS

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Are the risks of labiaplasty worth doing the surgery?

The answer is that the risks are minimal if you choose the right surgeon and the right method.  One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Definitely.

This procedure is actually far more commonly requested than many women realize. The discomfort, embarrassment, and even pain with exercise (cycling or spin classes) and intercourse are all common symptoms that are essentially cured with a fairly simple procedure that usually takes under an hour. The complications can be those from any surgery including bleeding, swelling, a few days of post-operative pain (well controlled with medications), and delayed healing that may require dressing changes for a short period. Thankfully, with the exception of some early post-operative pain and mild swelling, most of these complications should be rare, and the vast majority of patients are extremely pleased with their results. The concern of asymmetry should be minimal, since, unlike the face or breasts, asymmetry in this area is more the rule than the exception. 

Ram Kalus, MD
Mount Pleasant Plastic Surgeon

Is it worth it?

I believe the answer is yes. Ask other women and check the forums here. The risks are unevenness, pain, scarring, infection, delayed healing. It is an outpatient procedure that lasts about 30-45 minutes. The pain is well-controlled on medication.