I got voluma done in April 2016. (photo)

The doc has 20 yrs experience..I look ugly and hate looking into the mirror.. Regret getting fillers done. Will this go away? Also my under eye skin has sagged badly..how do I get this corrected?

Doctor Answers 10


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am so sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your results. Since the results can last for 2 years, my best advise would be for you to get the Voluma dissolved. It may take more than one treatment, but it works well. Hope this helps.


Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Voluma injection to the undereyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear that you are not happy with your Voluma results. When used appropriately, patient satisfaction with Voluma is very high. In your case, Voluma probably should not have been injected under the eyes. Restylane, Belotero and Volbella are much better fillers for this area. I actually prefer using Restylane in this area over other fillers and I prefer to inject using a microcannula in this delicate area to minimize bruising and swelling. The good thing is that Voluma is a hyaluronic acid based filler and so it can be reversed using hyaluronidase injection.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Voluma side effects tend to subside within a month. Due to your long-lasting side effects, you should explore dissolving the fillers. I suggest that you move forward and discuss with your board certified facial plastic surgeon. You will learn more about the specific procedure to your face, and the surgeon's belief as to the unsuccessful filler. Keep in mind that each patient is unique and has a different response to procedures.

Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

You might also like...

Unhappy with voluma injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am so sorry you feel this way and it is uncommon people don't like voluma injections in the cheeks. However, there is a relatively simple solution that can resolve this! Voluma is a hyaluronic acid filler and as such, can be dissolved using hyaluronidase. You should return to the physician who performed the injections and have him/her dissolve it to your baseline. While this may take more than one treatment, Voluma (depending on how much was injected) can last up to 2 years so best get it dissolved!  I hope this helps!

Lesley Rabach, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

I got Voluma done in April 2016

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your results have not been what you anticipated.  Because of its duration of effect I would recommend dissolving your voluma with hyaluronidase to restore your previous appearance.  Then seek out a Voluma specialist in order to maximize your results.  Hope this helps.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 80 reviews

Voluma in the Eyelid Region

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. I am sorry that you are not happy with your results. I assume that you had Voluma injected into your lower eyelid region - this area looks somewhat swollen. In my experience, Voluma is not the best filler for this region - it tends to give too much lift, and will look odd with the relatively thin tissues of the undereye. Other fillers like Restylane, Restylane Silk, or Belotero may be more appropriate in this area - these fillers are more malleable and moldable, and give a much more natural look. Just because you are unhappy with your filler doesn't mean that you have to wait for it to go away - you can have it dissolved easily and quickly with minimal bruising and downtime.

I would wait to assess your eyelid skin until the product is either dissolved by Vitrase or it goes away more naturally over time - only then can you get a true sense of what is going on. If you still have some excess skin, there are many options that can be used to treat this - including various fillers, lasers, or even surgery depending on the amount of excess. Best of luck! 

Anthony J. Taglienti, MD
Norristown Plastic Surgeon

Teosyal Redensity II for Under Eye Filling

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Undereye123:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend the Voluma be dissolved with hyaluronidase and rather use Teosyal Redensity II for under eye filling.  Wishing you treatment success!

Voluma Is Too Thick To Be Used In The Thin Skin Of The Lower Eyelid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I believe Voluma is too thick to be used for this purpose in the periorbital region.  For this reason, when treating this area, I prefer to use diluted restylane or belotero. 

Voluma also tends to persist for 1 1/2 to 2 years after its administration, so I would recommend that you have it dissolved by injection of this area with hyaluronidase.  After all of the Voluma has been removed, and the swelling has subsided, you can consult a plastic surgeon to see what your best options for treating this area may be.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Under Eye Area

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would prefer Restylane or Belotero for this area. At this point I would recommend you having the filler dissolved and consult an expert. Best, Dr. Green

Voluma for under eye area not happy.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is not the best filler for this area. It can be removed using hyaluronidase. It might take several treatments for this. I prefer Restylane here.

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.