Is this my final nose???

My Surgeon took a picture of my nose right after he finished operating and my nose tip and bridge looks completely swollen. Can the nose swell up this quickly? Or is that my result?

Rhinoplasty Recovery

I would recommend following up immediately with your surgeon as your nose heals to ensure the best outcome. Keep in mind that the majority of the swelling will resolve in 3-6 months, and will continue to resolve as your nose heals for up to 1-2 years.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question. Remember, you should always address any post-operative concerns with your primary surgeon. It is very important to remember it takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. I hope you find this helpful. Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS, member of The Rhinoplasty Society

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

It does not take very long for the nose to swell after surgery. In fact most times is swells during surgery, This is especially true with an open approach or after osteotomies (bone work). Duration is also a key issue. During a 2-3 hour surgery there is significant swelling. 

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the question. 
I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want. 
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD