Is it too early to remove the cast?

Hey, I had a closed septorhinoplasty done last sunday. The swelling since then has improved, and I can pretty much say that I am back to my normal daily activity now (almost... I still get dizzy). However, I was surprised when my surgeon said that he'll remove the cast today (I honestly wouldnt mind the itching is just killing me). I read that it should be kept for 10 days to 2 weeks... if I get the cast removed now and just depend on the tapes, would it affect the final result?

Denver splint

Congratulations on your rhinoplasty! It sounds like you have a denver splint which is placed on the top of the nose to help keep the nasal bones and sometimes cartilage grafts that may have been used in place. It is used to protect the nose after surgery, similar to a splint for the hand after hand surgery. Every surgeon has specific instructions for each patient and it is important to maintain follow up with your plastic surgeon. If you have concerns that it is coming off too soon, you can ask your surgeon in person and ask her/him why it is coming off now versus later. Best of luck, MMT

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  As long as your surgeon is a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon, then you should trust his/her judgment. 

Best wishes and good luck

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained Plastic Surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Splint/Cast removal following rhinoplasty

Hello joana_ - thank you for your question. Most surgeons remove the external splint at 7 days. It sounds like that is about the same amount of time yours has been left. So do not worry about it compromising your final result.