Is 18 days enough time to get a Breast Augmentation as a Flight Attendant?

I am a 23 year old, 55kg , 5.7ft with a 34A breast size. I want around 270cc to have a small and natural look. I have 18 days off next February and I'm planning on having a boob job then. Being a flight attendant, would that be enough rest? I have a to push and close sometimes heavy luggage compartments, reach and pull out containers and push and pull carts for the service.

2 weeks a usual recovery time for breast augmentation although some discomfort may persist for 3 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation.  Very heavy lifting such as bench pressing should be avoided for 6 weeks after submuscular breast augmentation.  I would discuss this with your chosen plastic surgeon.

18 days post BA surgery

Thank you for your question. It is best to discuss with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon his/her specific recommendations as far as return to activity. The recovery after BA surgery varies widely from patient to patient as well as their level of discomfort during this time. Generally, the first 4-7 days are reserved for rest and overall recovery, and after that patients can slowly work their way back with gradual low risk activities. I prefer to wait at least 4-6 weeks for repetitive upper body lifting/movements and arm use so that the muscles, skin incisions and breast tissues have had adequate time to heal and settle before being stressed. The recovery routine will best be determined by your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon so be sure to touch base with him/her on their specific recommendations. Benjamin J. Cousins MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation flight attendant

Hello and thank you for the question. 

For most occupations, 18 days is more than enough time for recovery. However, as a flight attendant, I think it may not be enough. Carrying luggage, closing compartment doors, pushing heavy drink carts, helping passengers, etc... Can be VERY physical. 

Further, should something happen to you, torn muscle, bleeding, open wound, etc... there is no way to get immediate help for you 30,000 feet in the air. 

I would recommend at least 4-6 weeks before attempting return to work. If they allow you to go back on light duty only, that may be an option, but i doubt most airlines would allow that. 

Best to you. 

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

There are several components to mention when it comes to recovering from breast augmentation.  This first is in regards to pain. Everybody's pain tolerance is different and therefore it is difficult to predict how long you will be uncomfortable for.  Patients who have undergone placement of their implants under the muscle tend to have more pain than those who have had the implant placed above the muscle.  I have had patients state that they feel fine the next day and I have had others take significantly longer.  The next component is in regards to the implants dropping into their final resting position.  Implants placed above the muscle tend to remain in the appropriate position almost from day one. However implants that are placed below the muscle can start off quite high on the chest wall.  This is from the muscles of the chest contracting and pushing the implants higher. In time these muscles relax and allow the implants to drop into the appropriate place.  One problem that can happen if you are doing a lot of activities after surgery using these these chest muscles (such as the pushing and pulling that you describe) it can cause the implants to remain high. I would recommend limited activities until the implants have dropped into the appropriate position and then resume more normal activities. This can take upwards of three months.  

Breast augmentation

It is important for you to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have seeing as every surgeon has a slightly different post-operative protocol. 
I don’t recommend my patients engaging in any activities that include weight bearing or resistance before 6 weeks. I would recommend taking more time off work if possible or limiting your duties until you are at least 6 weeks into your recovery. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation recovery

You should be ok to return to work within 1-2 weeks. Limited duty would be best and you shouldn't be lifting the 50 pound luggage pieces. Closing compartments high above your head and pushing heavy luggage pieces into them may be difficult for the first few weeks.

Good luck.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Recovery-Breast Augmentation

Following breast augmentation surgery I advise patients there is no lifting, pushing, pulling, or straining anything over 5-8lbs for 6 weeks. Since your job requires you to be pushing and closing heavy compartments you may want to give yourself a few weeks to recover. I encourage you to discuss your post-operative instructions with your board certified plastic surgeon who can guide you as to your restrictions following this surgery. Good luck!   

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Timeline

Thank you for your question. 2 weeks off of work is usually sufficient for jobs which require more regular use of the arms. You may require a modified work assignment if your Plastic Surgeon advises no lifting over 10lbs for 6 weeks post op.

I recommend that you discuss your needs and expectations with your Plastic Surgeon to assist with planning.

All the best

Time off for surgery

That should be adequate time for you to recover.  You still may need some assistance from your coworkers in lifting particularly heavy items and you may have some soreness at the end of the day.  You should be able to perform the majority of your duties regularly.  Discuss the situation with your surgeon and get his/her recommendation.

Camille Cash, MD

18 days off

Yes, I would say that most patients are off of work only 1 week or less.  More than two weeks should be plenty of time to recover and return to work as a flight attendant.  You'll have to get the recommendation of your surgeon but in my practice I'd recommend proceeding.  You might have some residual discomfort after 18 days and you would still have some lifting restrictions, however, if you were off of your narcotic pain medications I believe you could return to work.  

Best wishes!

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon