If I am African American, does my surgeon need to be African American?

Due to some African Americans scarring easily and having keloids, would an African American surgeon take that more into consideration during surgery versus a surgeon who is not African American?

Surgeon and patients

I treat patients of many different ethnicities.  NYC is a melting pot of different people. I do not think that a surgeon has to have the same ethnicity as his patient, but he mus be a good surgeon and listen to what his patient wants.

All Board Certified plastic surgeons are aware of scar problems and how to treat them. Choose a surgeon based on experience and your comfort. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

If I'm African-American should I seek out the same ethnicity in my Plastic surgeon?

In my opinion, seeking the same ethnicity in a Plastic surgeon is not necessary. 
Great, Good, Average and Poor surgeon come in all ethnicities, sizes and genders. It is much more important to seek the best surgeon you can afford and with whom you have a rapport then to use race as a qualifier which may likely be a disaster. 

Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  If you are a black person, it doesn't matter whether your surgeon is black, white or Asian as to what kind of results you will get.  What matters is your genetic make up mostly and that your surgeon, regardless of race, is Board Certified and does good Plastic Surgery.
Therefore, that said, be sure to seek a consultation from a Board certified PS, regardless of his or her race.  Keloid formation can happen to anyone under anyone's care.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic rhinoplasty

More important than race - I would suggest you find a qualified (Board Certified by American Board of Plastic Surgery and/or American Board of Otolaryngology) surgeon who (1) regularly performs rhinoplasty, (2) listens and understands the changes you want made, and (3) reviews photos of their work with you of similar patients.  

Absolutely not…

When it comes to selection of plastic surgeon, I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.  The ethnicity of the surgeon is not a factor.
***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
  You may find the attached link, dedicated to plastic surgical procedures for African-American patients, helpful to you as you learn more.