Could I have a nose fracture? (photos)

I am 22, I was 12 when the neighbor head but meven in the face on accident and hit my nose. it was very loud, excruciating, and swelled. Over the years it has grown and grown and is now this dorsal looking nose. Embarrassing. 2nd incident my son hit it last year, it was more painful than the first time because it was still very sensitive and sore after the years. It has a bulge to the left now and my right nostril is 99% closed off. I get severe sinus infections. Is it fractured?

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Possible Septorhinoplasty Candidate

Dear HannahB22, Most likely you have fractured your nose during one of these traumatic events. You probably have a deviated septum secondary to the trauma which is causing breathing difficulties. An examination would determine a proper diagnosis and septorhinoplasty surgery can be performed to fix both the functional and aesthetic concerns that you have. Seek some consultations with experts in the field and discuss your many options. See some examples of septorhinoplasty before and afters in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Nasal fracture, rhinoplasty and nasal airway obstruction

Nasal fracture is most often an x-ray diagnosis.

Nasal deformity is a clinical exam diagnosis.

You do have a physical deformity. Your nose can be fixed and improved, and your airway problem can be fixed as well. Whether your insurance company will pay all or some would be something to look in to.

Talmage Raine MD FACS

Talmage J. Raine, MD, FACS

Sure, it sounds like a fracture.

If your right nostril is 99% closed off, most of the obstruction is probably on the inside, where we can' see it, but that's very common. The way the nose grew and the asymmetry are probably due to the trauma, too.

See the "Web reference" link, just below my response. I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

I lowered that bump on the bridge, and slightly elevated and narrowed the tip of your nose.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. Then, he must show you before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Steven M. Denenberg, MD
Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon

You might have suffered a nasal fracture.  If you are unhappy with the appearance of your nose, you might want to go see a plastic surgeon to be evaluated.  Best of luck.

Crooked nose

The nose was likely fractured along with the nasal septum at the time of injury. You will need to be evaluated to confirm a deviation of the nasal septum. In that case a septoplasty and rhinoplasty will address your concerns with nasal breathing and shape as well. 

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Fracture

Thanks for you question and pictures.  Given you history, you definitely may have had a nasal fracture.  It is hard to say from the photos what is due to trauma and what is your natural nose.  I suggest going to a qualified Ear, Nose and Throat/Facial Plastic doctore to give you a good assessment both on the internal and external portions of your nose.  Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon