Dropping eyelid at age 25? (photo)

im 25 and i one of my eyelids dropped when i was i think 15. one morning i just woke up and boom, my eyes looked different. i dont even know if im right about it and if its called dropping eyelid. but i was wondering, is blepharoplasty my only option? is it possible to have it only on one eye? im not planning on doing it any time soon, just gathering information =) is there anything else i can do about it?

Doctor Answers 5

Drooping eye: levator disinsertion?

Which eye do you feel is droopy? It appears to me that the upper eyelid in the right hand side of your photo appears more "hollow" beneath the brow. This is often seen in older individuals as a result of dehiscence (disruption) of the aponeurosis ("tendon") of the levator muscle, a muscle that helps elevate the eyelid. This is unusual in younger people, but could occur after prolong inflammation of the affected eyelid. See a surgeon experienced in ptosis repair for a consultation.

Columbia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dropping eyelid at age 25?

You need a complete ocular/orbital work up to determine if there is a medical vs anatomic issue causing the ptosis.

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

Asymmetric upper eyelids

Not sure if blepharoplasty is the correct procedure for you. You have upper eyelid asymmetry which may be due to left upper eyelid ptosis (droopy) which would require ptosis surgery, not blepharoplasty. The asymmetry may also be due to more hollowness on the left side, in which case fillers (or fat) would be answer. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews


The posted picture is very grainy. Can you please post a better picture? Your upper lids do look quite different but it is difficult to tell what is going on in this picture.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

Droopy eyelid

From the picture the upper eyelids look pretty even. Your right lower eyelid is just slightly lower than the left, showing some of the white of your eye beneath the colored part. An oculoplastic surgeon could evaluate you and determine if anything could or should be done for this.

Matheson A. Harris, MD
Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.