Droopy, Sagging Eyelids

Hello all. I'm only 22 years old, but am considering getting something done about my heavy, droopy eyelids. They make my eyes look very tired and aged, and I am not happy with their appearance at all. What would be the best way to fix this? And what would the average cost be?

Droopy eyelids at a young age

you need to have a careful exam by an oculoplastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who can correct drooping:

1. drooping may involve muscle treatment
  2. little skin and or fat should be removed  if any
  3. be very careful on choosing your operation and doctor

Droopy eyelids at a young age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Proceed With Caution!

Despite the numerous photos, the only way to determine if surgery is appropriate would be with examination and consultation.

There may be some surgical options ranging from skin removal from the upper eyelids to brow lift, but it is critical that you have a very specific and detailed consultation to  review your goals and expectations.

Seek the opinion of an experienced expert in eyelid surgery who will listen to you carefully and give you appropriate guidance, which might be to forgo any surgery at this time!

Proceed With Caution!

Droopy eyes and eyelid surgery vs brow lift

These photos have your head in various positions up and down from the neutral, frontal position.  This makes analysis more difficult.  Your eyebrows appear to be low and there does appear to be 1-2 mm's of true eyelid ptosis of the right upper eyelid.  You should consider having  several consultations wiith plastic and cosmetic surgeons and occuloplastic surgeons for a proper evaluation.

We need good photos to review.

Your photos are not helpful. Looking sideways to the right and the left can give anyone this appearance. Full head on photos are needed to evaluate your eyes. All in all I'd say you need no surgery.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

We need good photos to review.

Harlow Hollis, MD
Victoria Plastic Surgeon

Beautiful eyelids in a young woman

You have beautiful eyes and great lid/brow/forehead proportions.  Any upper lid surgery should be minimal, designed only to allow you a smoother palate upon which you might use eye shadow. A simple skin excision could be performed safely under local anesthesia.  Total cost for an in-office procedure with novocaine (about 45 minutes total time) should be between $2500 and $4000 dollars.

Beautiful eyelids in a young woman

Droopy eyelids

Eyelid surgery, or blepharoplasty, is a beautiful procedure that yields excellent results and should be custom tailored in every aspect to your individual goals, needs, and anatomy. 

From your perspective as a patient, this surgery is very stealth with relatively simple recovery. From the standpoint of your surgeon this is a very intricate, detailed and fun surgery to perform where assessment and planning are everything!

Blepharoplasty has come a long way and become much more modern in recent years, focusing more on long-term results than just on taking away as much skin and fat as possible. This modern approach yields a much more natural look with much more satisfying long-term results. 

Blepharoplasty will address sagging skin, displaced, bulging fat and excess muscle. Occasionally areas around the eyes, like the eyebrows and sometimes even cheeks, need to be addressed to give a harmonious and comprehensive result.

There are non-surgical alternatives to blepharoplasty, including laser resurfacing, fillers, brow lifting and others, but which of those are applicable to you will be dependent, and a discussion with your surgeon can help delineate those options.

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties. Membership in organizations like the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery help to identify a highly trained surgeon.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Droopy eyelids

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Eyelid Surgery

The best thing for drooping eyelids is a blepharoplasty with fat removal when indicated.  An evaluation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is the best place to begin formulation of a plan.  Consider both upper and lower eyelids in the procedure.  If one is done, and the other one needs work, do them both at the same time.

Eyelid Surgery

Droopy eyelids

Hi, I actually think your eyelids are very pretty.  You also have lovely eyebrows with perfect arches in the outer 1/3.  You do have very slight eyelid ptosis, which is sagging of the lid itself, meaning that it covers too much of the cornea (the colored part). This is not severe enough to correct at this point. If the slight loose skin in your upper lids bothers you, then you can have an upper lid, skin only, blepharoplasty. This is simply removing the excess skin in your upper lids. This can be done under local anesthesia.  If the ptosis bother you, then find someone very experience in the procedure.  I have seen some disasters done by non-expericned surgeons. They should be board certified plastic surgeons or oculoplantic surgeons, which doesn't guarantee their experience or your result.  Remember, with plastic surgery, keep it simple--and that would be to remove the small amount of excess skin only.

Good luck,

E. Ronald Finger, M.D.

Droopy eyelids

Good luck,

E. Ronald Finger, M.D.

Droopy eyelids

From the pictures you have submitted, you appear to be too young to benefit from any surgery, however I have done an occasional blepharoplasty in someone in their twenties. An examination in person of your eyelids might lead me believe that you could possibly achieve some slight improvement but the pictures alone are insufficient to allow me to make that call. I recommend having a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see if there could be any benefit to having the surgery done at this time.

Droopy eyelids

Oculoplastic Surgery

As mentioned above, Oculoplastic surgeons have the most experience with ptosis repair surgery. There are two main techniques used:  levator advancement surgery, which usually involves an external incision   vs muller's plication surgery which is an internal incision.

The internal approach will likely be best for you and can give the subtle lift that you are looking for. An oculoplastics surgeon will do a diagnostic test with eye drops that will show you whether you are a good candidate for this procedure, and will also give you a good idea what your post-operative result will look like.

I have had patients with "bedroom" eyes that have had the eye drop test and said:  " that doesn't really look like ME anymore" and decided against surgery. So I would recommend that preoperative test to confirm your decision.

Best of LUck

seattleface com

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Oculoplastic Surgery

Best of LUck

seattleface com

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon