Droopy Outer Corners of Lower Eyelids and Hollow Upper Eyelids

The outer corners of my lower eyelids droop and I would like them to be more elevated (slanted upwards) so there isn't as much scleral show. The lower lid of my right eye rounds downward more significantly than my right, making my eyes look asymmetrical. I've attempted researching canthopexy procedures that would elevate the outer corners of the lower lid. I also have hollowness in the upper inner corners of my eyes-can this area be filled in with a dermal filler?

Doctor Answers 3

Changing the canthal angle is possible...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my experience, however, changing the canthal angle in someone for elective purposes, often ends up looking less than natural. I would think long and hard about considering this procedure. Discuss it with an experienced ASOPRS trained oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one by going to the ASOPRS dot org website.

Best of luck

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A lateral canthoplasty is needed to raise the outer angle of your eyes/lids. (Higher lateral canthus than medial canthus is more aesthetically pleasing.)  It is also possible other procedures may be necessary. An examination is needed. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Lower lid rounding could be a natural finding

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Many lower lids have a natural rounding(ectropion like) without prior surgery or accidents. As long as no eye exposure or dryness,it is better not to address it. However, technically a canthopexy could elevate the lower lid to the proper position. A filler culled be used to inject any hollow area around the eye. Care must be experienced to avoid bleeding,irregularities or excessive filling. It is ideal to use a hyaluronid acid filller as it is softer and reversible.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.