Can I Drink Before my Breast Augmentation?

I am getting breast implants in two weeks and have a girls night out planned the weekend before. I'm not a big drinker, but is it ok if I have one or two cocktails a few nights before surgery? I've heard a few different opinions.

Can I go out drinking before my breast augmentation?

You should not drink any alcohol for 48 hours before surgery. Alcohol can increase the risk of complications and slow down the recovery process. However, when you are no longer taking narcotics and muscle relaxants and have had your first postoperative visit, feel free to pop open a bottle of champagne and celebrate.

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol intake prior to surgery

As a general rule, we advise patients to abstain from alcohol intake several days prior to surgery. We want you to arrive at surgery fully hydrated and healthy for elective cosmetic surgery. 

Antonio Gayoso, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Alcohol Consumption before Breast Augmentation

Each surgeon has their own requirements, recommendations and restrictions both pre- and post-operatively.  With regards to alcohol consumption prior to your elective cosmetic procedure, I ask that my patients refrain from alcohol consumption several days before their elective cosmetic procedure, however, I would recommend following your operating surgeons specific pre-op instructions.  

Alcohol before surgery

Each Plastic Surgeon has their own view point on this and I would suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon. The reason that it is suggested that you stop or have minimal alcohol leading up to your surgery is that if can effect the metabolism (how fast the drugs last) of the anesthesia and pain medicines afterwards and can cause bleeding problems during surgery. Definitely do not drink and take pain medicines afterwards as it can cause you to stop breathing in certain circumstances.
My suggestions to my patients is to have no more than one glass of wine or beer per day 2 weeks before surgery and preferably stop a week prior to surgery, resuming after pain medicines have stopped and you are back to your normal routine.

#alcoholbeforesurgery

Drinking before a Breast Augmentation

Hi there, thanks for posting your question. Every surgeon has different requirements and rules, and it is best to follow your surgeon's. Best to you. -Dr. Coan 

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Do Not Drink Alcohol for at Least 1 Week Prior to Surgery

When patients undergo breast augmentation surgery, safety should be everyone’s first priority. For this reason, we recommend that patients not drink alcohol for at least one week prior to surgery. Alcohol can cause dehydration which can significantly increase the potential for complications following breast augmentation.

In this case, two drinks, 48 hours prior to surgery wouldn’t be a problem if efforts were made to re-hydrate. Unfortunately two drinks can easily turn into six drinks and for this reason avoiding alcohol prior to surgery is probably appropriate. 

Abstain for a week

I would refrain from alcohol for a week before surgery for any number of reasons.  There are physiologic effects from alcohol drinking which can effect your body at surgery.

Alcohol Consumption before Surgery

Thank you for your question. While I would not have a problem with a patient consuming alcohol one week prior to breast augmentation (within reason of course), each surgeon has their own pre-op instructions. Because you have already chosen a surgery date, you should discuss this with your doctor and follow his or her specific guidelines.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Drinking alcohol before surgery

We typically advise patients to abstain from alcohol consumption about a week prior to surgery. We want to make sure you are as healthy & as hydrated as possible the day of surgery.

Be well and good luck!

Alcohol and surgery

This is a question that is raised all the time. Our recommendation in this practice is to limit your drinking one week prior to the operation. Having a glass of wine 48 hours prior to surgery is probably ok. We ask you not to drink 48 hours prior to any procedure. Best wishes.

Sepehr Egrari, MD