Is It Okay to Use Certain Dri for Excessive Sweating Before and After a Transaxillary BA?

I am scheduled to have my surgery in 3 weeks. I will be getting silicon implants via transaxillary incision. I have excessive sweating so I use Certain Dri which contains Aluminum Chloride almost every night. Is it okay to continue using it before and after the surgery? Will it affect the healing of the incision site? Thank you.

Certain Dri Before and After Transaxillary Augmentation

I would not advise using Certain Dri  on a fresh incision after surgery, and you should discuss your concern about this medication to your plastic surgeon prior to surgery. There should be no problem using this the night before your surgery. Good luck.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Excessive sweating, and considering transaxillary augmentation?

I put a question mark at the end of my headline because this is one of several potential things that would make me question the appropriateness of using a transaxillary incision to place sterile implants.

You not only sweat (a lot), but you have plenty of bacteria in your axillary glands and ducts. Even with use of a Keller funnel, but especially if not using one, I would seriously consider that this is not the "best" approach to use for placing your implants. Too much risk of bacterial seeding and contamination leading to increased risk of capsular contracture or infection.

I understand the seductive appeal of "no scar on your breasts," but what about the increased risk of reoperation for capsular contracture or implant malposition (both seen with transaxillary approaches)? No incision is foolproof or has zero risk of these concerns, but it seems as if your risks are even higher given your sweating.

As for Certain Dri; I would say NO with this incision choice, but then again, I would not recommend this incision (I would recommend inframammary, and let you use your Certain Dri). If you are set on this incision choice (and the surgeon who utilizes it), I would ask your surgeon rather than trying to get approval online. Any topical chemical can slow or cause healing concerns with incisions in warm, wet, moving, and bacteria-filled environments. Then that "hidden" scar may actually be quite visible in swimsuit or sleeveless top, not to mention the need to use a new breast incision to correct the malposition, deal with capsular contracture, or remove your infected implant. All rare, to be sure, but rare + increased risk with this approach + even more increased risk with excessive sweat production. Just saying.

Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Good luck and best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Sweating and the axillary incision

As a surgeon who was in the group that developed the trans axillary endoscopic approach to breast augmentation, I have seen no increase of infections or capsular contracture using this approach in the past 20 years. Several steps should take place: First we recommend that all patients shower with Hibeclens the night prior to and the morning of the surgery especially in the axilla. Second, we circumferentially prep our patients with a chlorhexidine long lasting prep. Third, we use a Keller funnel so that the implant does not touch the skin in addition to antibiotic irrigation. I think that you could use your Certain Dri up to the day prior to surgery but not the night before because of the above concerns. Also, you could do a swab to see what bacteria are in the axilla and use the Hibeclens for several days leading up to the procedure. I think that you could start using it in 24 hours following the procedure but I use tissue glue for the incisions. Using Botox or another incision site might be a consideration. I would discuss this with your surgeon. 

Sweating and the axillary incision

Transaxillary breast implants

Ask your surgeon about the recommendations for your specific situation.  The only time it would matter is the morning of surgery, and your surgeon will likely have you not apply any deodorant the morning of surgery.  A more important question would be when your surgeon okays you to use the deodorant after surgery.

Transaxillary breast implants

Transaxillary Implants

I think it would be fine to use before surgery although I would avoid it the day before and clean with antibacterial soap.  I would also avoid using Certain Dri on your incision for 2 weeks after surgery.  Good luck! K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Transaxillary Implants

Certain Dri for Excessive Sweating Before and After a Transaxillary BA

If excessive sweating is a problem, I would consider the axilla not to be an incision of choice, and would discuss alternatives with your surgeon. You would not be able to use any topical for several weeks, the sweating will add to risk of implant infection.l 

Sweating after transaxillary augmentation

Probably the best solution for underarm sweating after transaxillary breast augmentation is botox which will keep you completely dry for several months.

Excessive Sweating and Transaxillary Incison

Dear Pennyland,  CertainDri has a very concentrated level of Aluminum Chloride which can last for many days after its last application and can be irritating to healing tissues.  This is good reason to discontinue the product a few days before your surgery and not to restart until cleared by your surgeon to do so.  If you have had any history of cysts or boils in your underarm area, you may want to reconsider the choice of incision selected.  Clearly this merits a discussion with your plastic surgeon now and not on the morning of your surgery.  Give your plastic surgeon a call as soon as possible.

It's probably not a good idea to use that product for a few days before and a week after your surgery. BTW, have you considered asking your surgeon to inject botox for the excessive sweating? You might want to consider that. It is one of the recognized uses for the botox product.

Speak to your surgeon

You need to discuss this with your surgeon.  I would tell my patients to avoid this for at least a week prior to surgery to allow any irritation to resolve and absolutely would not put it on a fresh incision.  Good luck!

Speak to your surgeon