What do if my tape comes off 5 days post op breast augmentation? (photo)

Finally washed my hair 5 days post op and water loosened the tape around my incision site. My doctor is 3 1/2 hrs away so I don't really want to drive that far over tape. What do I do in this situation? My 1 week post op visit is in a few days. Thanks!

Should Be Fine, But Contact Your Surgeon

I encourage anyone with concerns following aesthetic surgery to contact their plastic surgeon's office for advice. That being said, I wouldn't worry much about the tape partially coming off at the incision site. At 5 days after surgery, your incisions are probably healed enough that they won't re-open. I recommend keeping the area dry and avoid any motions that might create too much stress on the incision.

Give your doctor a call.

The tape over your incision site MIGHT be playing a role in keeping the sutures in place.  Or it might just be keeping a cover over the incision and indeed could need to come off.

Your surgeon will give you the advice you need and can provide that over the phone - most likely.

Give them a ring.  The phone will work even 3.5 hrs away:)

Tape

Thanks for your question.  I agree with the other doctors that you should contact your doctor's office with a quick phone call and see what they suggest.  You can possibly email photos so they can check out the incision as well.

From the photo you attached it looked like the tape hasn't come off completely.  When the tape starts to loosen, you can usually just trim the loosened tape with scissors so it doesn't continue to pull off.  

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com.  Best of luck!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

What do if my tape comes off 5 days post op breast augmentation?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, I recommend you to see your surgeon because the wound has to be covered at least 21 days from surgery until it heals.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tape came off of incision

Congratulations on your recent surgery.  When my patients have a long way to travel to see me, we have them email me photos so I can verify that everything is OK.  To address your concerns, a quick call to your Plastic Surgeons office is best.

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Incision Concerns

You don't necessarily have a problem. I prefer my patients to keep the incision covered with steri strips for 2 weeks or longer to ensure incisions underneath are completely closed before  exposing them. I recommend that you keep the area clean and dry. You may want to cover with just a little clean gauze if you have to protect the area. Give your Plastic Surgeon a call and let them advise you.

All the best

Tape

You have nothing to worry nor do you have to do anything unless your incision appears to be open, then call your surgeon

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Given your concerns, you'll be best off seeking follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

I recommended to Replace the Tape.

Best of Luck !!

Thank you for your picture and questions. For the best answer, you should call your surgeon and discuss this with him/her or the staff to get instructions. If that is not an option, then most likely the tape is not going to make or break the case and the closure should be intact and well healed by 5 days postop. I would advise a patient to either replace the tape or cover the incision with abx ointment and a bandage until they could be seen.

What to do if my tape comes off 5 days post op breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend trimming the tape and retape the area.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD