Will my silicone implants become larger after they settle? Currently 5 days post op (Photos)

I heartbroken right now over having such a different expectation coming out of surgery. I loved my boobs prior to having ruptured silicone implant replaced. I asked for larger implants then before and came out of surgery in a state of shock. I cried today when the nurse told me me they took out 190cc of my own boob off each boob plus the silicone implant of 425cc. It was replaced with a 560 but looks nothing like how they looked before. My boobs were a huge part of me! I loved them!

Drop and Fluff

You need time before you can make an assessment. Usually 3 to 4 months. You should be happy that you look as good as you do; your surgery was very complex and prone to complications and poor outcomes in the hands of the casual surgeon. Be happy.

Will My Silicone Implants Become Larger After They Settle?

Congratulations on what appears to be an excellent breast lift/reduction/augmentation.  When breasts are lifted, it has been my experience over and over again that they look smaller to the patient even if they're not.  Taking out 190ccs off each breast would, in my opinion, be a reasonable amount of tissue to allow for a standard Wise pattern (anchor) lift. 

Pre operatively, you had very large breasts, and post operatively your breasts are still large.  Your desire for even larger breasts post operatively would fly in the face of potential dangers such as injuring the blood supply to your nipples and potentially creating what is known as traumatic fat necrosis which could mean your breasts leaking for months and your breasts shrinking up and becoming distorted.  Fortunately, it appears that your personal plastic surgeon avoided these potential dangers by not acquiescing to your request for breasts larger than they were before the lift.  The #1 directive in all of medicine is, primarily cause no harm.  It appears your plastic surgeon erred on the side of caution, showed good judgement, and protected you from much worse potential complications by not putting in a larger implant.  

Also, this is the 5th post operative day which, in my experience, is the height of what is referred to as the Booby Blues.  Usually on the 5th day, there is a shift of water out of your tissue into your blood stream which dilutes your electrolytes which causes a significant emotional swing.  In my practice, I recommend my patients replenish their electrolytes by taking Gatorade.  This seems to decrease the sense of depression over the outcome.  Your breasts were very droopy to start out with, and it appears that your surgeon has done an excellent job in elevating them.  Give your breasts, your plastic surgeon, and yourself time and be very thankful that this large surgery caused no significant harm.

Will my silicone implants become larger after they settle?

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery.

Although I understand your concerns, I think that you may already have a good understanding of some of the concerns  surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery: every patient's anatomy does limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely. In other words, the use of a breast implant that is too large for a patient's frame may be problematic in many ways. 

Having said that, given that you are fresh out of surgery, it is definitely too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed.You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at the early stages of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image. 

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change.   If, in the longer term, you remain displeased with breast size, it is likely that re augmentation with larger breast implants will be possible.

My best advice:  ongoing patience and close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

When you don't get what you want

you need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon and find out what was agreed to in the chart notes.  If your surgeon did everything he/she said would be done, there is really nothing else for you to do.  If your surgeon promised something in writing and you didn't get it, your surgeon should be very motivated to help you achieve what you wanted.  Without your history of disappointment, you have really great results for the lift and re-augmentation.  And though you were bigger pre-op, your look now is superior in terms of youthfulness and perkiness.  The difference you are distraught over is less than 2 ounces if you numbers are accurate... and this is near negligible when talking about spheres (implants).

Curtis Wong, MD