Am I making a mistake with Ex HP? (photos)

My Dr recommended Ex HP implants for me after doing measurements and I'm questioning this, the night before surgery! Why would he recommend this? I was told that it had something to do with the width of my chest. However I'm pretty adamant about looking natural. Will 320cc Ex HP help me achieve that look or should I reschedule my surgery until I find a better profile? I trust my doctor but the stuff I've read about Ex HP makes me nervous. I am a 32/34 A cup now. 5'3 115lbs.

Am I making a mistake with Ex HP?

I don't want to second guess your surgeon as he has had the chance to examine you and we have not.  But based on your photos and your desire for a natural look I personally would probably lean towards the Natrelle Inspira SRM (moderate profile) implants. The HP have a rounder more surgical look and the XHP even more so. The best thing to do is show the surgeon post op photos of breast augment patients to indicate the look you are after. Good Luck. 

Ultra/Extra High Profile implants for a fake look

These are the implants designed to max out what you can do with implants. They can make a very full round result, certainly not what would be called "natural" by most patients or doctors.

Am I making a mistake with Ex HP?

If one of my patients told me that she wants to have a natural appearance, I would not recommend an extra high profile implant. This style will give you more upper breast fullness than you want, which looks more augmented than a lower profile implant. Best of luck!

EX HP implants

have a definite place in our toolbox but your photos and implant size suggest you can easily get by with a more traditional profile.  Your surgeon has the benefit of knowing just how wide your chest and breasts are as that is what I use in choosing a profile.  Some surgeons are fearful of going beyond your natural base but if done carefully, there are really minimal risks to doing that.  Ask your surgeon for the logic behind his suggesting and find out how wide the implant will be and transposed that to your chest and see if it will give you the look you desire.  If not, consider wider implants.

Curtis Wong, MD

Ultra high-profile implants?

By now you are hopefully awakening from anesthesia and did well.  Like most of the others I do not use high-profile and especially do not use ultra high-profile implants but would be happy to hear of your experience once you have recovered and healed.  Hopefully your experience will be completely positive and if so I look forward to hearing back from you. Best wishes for a good result.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

UHP Implants are Balls

I hope this reaches you in time. You do not want UHP implants, nor do you look like you have the capacity for that size. The term 'natural' is subjective and means different things to different people. However, the larger or more high profile an implant is, the more likely your result won't be 'natural'. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Am I making a mistake with Ex HP

In general, the higher the profile the more unnatural it will look, so a extra high profile may give you a less than natural end result

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with extra high profile implants.

You've made the right choice! You are going to look thin and athletic -- just with larger breasts.  I cant wait to see you later this morning to see how happy you are.  You will owe everyone an update and review of your experience so that other women know that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with extra high profile implants.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Timing?

It appears that I may be one day late in answering your question, however, I could not agree more with Dr. Kayser's answer.  There is no way to know the answer without examining you. communication between you and your PS is the most important issue here.  Using a high profile implant maybe useful in keeping the implant narrow to fit your chest wall/breast base width.  Hope all goes/went well with the operation and you are happy.

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon