I am having a Penniculectomy (mini tummy tuck) at the end of the month. What kind of at-home aftercare should I arrange? (photo)

My boyfriend will be with me on the day/evening of my surgery, and I have convinced my son to take a day off work for the following day. Should I arrange for someone to stay with me after 2 days, or will I be ok at that point to pretty much be alone for 9 or so hours at a time?

After care following panniculectomy

Hello, it is very helpful after a procedure like this to have help at home for at least several days if possible.  I would recommend speaking to your surgeon about their specific recommendations for your postop recovery.

Aftercare after tummy tuck surgery?

I think that you are underestimating the amount and duration of help  that you will benefit from after abdominal wall contouring surgery.  

I think it is best to prepare for a “recovery” of 2-4 weeks after tummy tuck surgery. Of course, experiences will vary from one patient to another but many patients do not return to full strength and stamina for several months after the procedure is performed. Descriptions of recovery times shorter than this, in my opinion, is over-promising.

I do have another word of advice for you. Patients who are about to undergo tummy tuck surgery spend a lot of time thinking about the physical preparation for the procedure (for example weight loss issues) but do not spend a lot of time thinking about the emotional aspects.

It is not uncommon for patients who undergo the procedure to experience severe “mood swings”. These emotions may range from depression ( “why did I do this to myself”) to elation (which may lead to over activity). I think it is helpful to be aware that these emotional swings do occur postoperatively. 

Suggestions I have for patients undergoing this procedure: 1. Make sure you have a strong support system in place who have time/patience to take care of you. 2. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. 3. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies. 4. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work too early and let others take care of you (for a change). 5. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience. 6. Keep in mind the end result!