I had breast augmentation performed on me 1 week and 2 days ago. I am only experiencing pain on my left side?

I had surgery for a breast augmentation on Tuesday , it has been a week and 2 days now and I am only feeling tenderness and pain on my left side, while my right side feels good, I don't experience any kind of pain anymore. Is this normal, what I am experiencing? If so, why does this usually happen ? How long until my left side feels better ? Or should I be concerned ?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, at the first 3 to 4 months, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support.

More pain on one side after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  It is very common to feel more pain one side versus the other during the healing process after breast augmentation.  There is no particular reason why, and down the road you could possibly feel more pain on your right than left.  

If you are still concerned about your pain levels or anything during your healing process, it is important that you contact your doctor and consult with them.

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process, you can download a copy of my breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Healing after procedures

do not progress equally on both sides and you are simply another example of it.  Unless your breast is changing in size or your incisions are acting up, all symptoms are going to be considered normal.  Often it will be due to a nerve that is being pushed on by the implant or a cut nerve that is trying to heal.  Your surgeon should provide you the reassurances you need that all is good so let him/her know and focus on healing.

Curtis Wong, MD

Pain

Your situation is indeed normal after surgery.  It is difficult to answer the question about when the pain will subside as this varies between breasts and between patients.  Please continue to follow up with your surgeon.

Hoped this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Pain

When concerned, you should always communicate with your surgeon. I advise my patients that one side is always more tender than the other off and on for about nine months, less and less each month. They may have maybe a couple of months during that period with no discomfort on either side, then all of a sudden that one tender side might zing again. I advise them to try an anti-inflammatory, if they can tolerate it, for any discomfort that may last more than a minute if they need it. Hope this information is reassuring. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation pain

Congratulations on your recent surgery.  Having pain and tenderness in your breast is common, actually you are very lucky that your right side feels good.  It is important to keep your follow up appointments with your Plastic Surgeon so he can monitor your progress.  Pain, swelling, tenderness, and sometimes numbness may happen and usually will subside between 6-8 weeks. 

Eric Schaffer, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetric Post Op Pain

Thank you for your question. It is common for each breast to feel a little different while healing. Sometimes one hurts more than the other or one side only will show bruising. The breasts may "drop & fluff" at slightly different rates. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about any concerning changes.

All the best

Asymmetries in pain and swelling

Thanks for the great question and I'm sorry to hear you're still having some pain. After breast augmentation it is very normal for patients to have pain, tenderness or swelling in one breast and not the other. These issues may go back and forth to the other breast for weeks to months after surgery. Be patient, because even though it's a relatively quick surgery, it still has a long healing process. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Breast augmentation - pain only on one side

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• if you have pain that is not improving, you should contact your surgeon and report this.
  • S/he may want to see you.
  • That said, one side always heals faster than the other because the two sides of our body are not identical.
  • If the pain is slowly improving, even if more sensitive than the other side, chances are things will be fine.
  • But always report concerns to your surgeon for evaluation.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Normal

You are progressing in a typical fashion after breast augmentation surgery.  Your body will focus on the most stimulating discomfort.  It is rare to have both breasts to hurt. Most discomfort resolves in a few weeks.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS