Can I no longer do pecs exercises after retrofascial implants?

Hello, I had 255cc silicone memory gel retrofascial implant 5 months ago. Recently I went for the 6 month visit, the surgery was done overseas and the doctor advised me not to ever do push ups or exercises that involve the pecs to prevent inflammation in the area. He also mentioned that the surgery was very hard because of the tightness in my chest.I used to exercise and lift weights before the BA. My breast are still hard and firm, with pain sometimes, are they gonna get softer in the future?

No exercise restrictions after subfascial implants

There should be no reason why you would not be able to exercise your pectoral muscles after subfascial breast implant placement, in fact that is one of the reasons for placing them in that plane. They would not be expected to soften further after several months so perhaps there is something else going on such as capsular contracture. You need an expert opinion based on an in-person exam in order to get the best advice.

Exercising after implants

Dear SerenaS,
Something here doesn't make a lot of sense. Retro-fascial implants are placed above your pectoral muscles, so I am not sure why your surgeon is concerned about your activities at this point. Perhaps he was mistaken about the plane used at your follow-up, or you are mistaken on the position of the implant from his description. Clarify this by getting a copy of your operative report and also exact information on your implants. Once you have this information it might be worth it to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon closer to home for some advice. You may just have tight tissue, or you may have a capsular contracture which is overly tight scar tissue around the implant. There are some medications that might help, as well as some massage techniques if your implants are smooth walled. 
There are many choices that can be made regarding surgery (implant type, surface, position, and post op instructions), and these preferences definitely vary between individual surgeons, and especially when comparing surgeons from different countries. There is a funny saying about surgeons that they are "frequently wrong, but never in doubt". Once other surgeons have access to your records and are able to examine you, your might get some useful advice or reassurance to add to what your surgeon has said.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breasts hard(capsular contracture) or malpositioned?

You are telling a story that is concerning for a poorly performed breast augmentation. First of all, if you had retro positioned implants, they should have been placed in front of the pectoralis muscles rather than behind, making your implants less at risk of malposition with exercise. It sounds that your surgeon is concerned about malposition if he is telling you that you will not be allowed by do pushups. A consultation would be necessary to give you any accurate advice.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Subfascial

Thank you for the question and I am concerned that your breasts are hard.  So see some experts in this country and get some opinions.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Breast Implants and Exercise at 5 Months

Thank you for your question about breast implants.

In general, at 5 months I have no restriction or activity limits for my patients.

To be sure, return to see your surgeon, or see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons in your area for a complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

BA recovery

Thanks for your question. By 5 months out, you should be back to any and all activity that you wish. I would start slowly, but doing chest exercise should not affect your implants or your results. They are not likely to change very much this far away from surgery. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Tightness in breast implants

Thanks for your question. In my opinion, activity of the pectoralis muscle should have nothing to do with a  so sub-fascial placement of silicone gel breast implants. what you're describing is hardness of the implants is disconcerting and I recommend you go back to your plastic surgeon to discuss whether or not this is early capsular contracture. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

No more push-ups.

Hello Serena. I suggest you reach out to your original surgeon about exercise advice including avoiding push-ups. In addition, after 6 months it's not usual for the breasts to still be hard and firm. Please speak with your operating surgeon about this and ask what type of implants were used for the surgery. Best wishes always, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Retrofascial placement of implants

should not impair you ability to exercise your chest muscles as you like.  When my patients have submuscular placement, they are asked not to strengthen the chest muscles and activities such as that could lead to inferior displacement of the implant.  Toning is fine but not strengthening.

Curtis Wong, MD