Follow up question to a previous question: I want to have both sex organs. (photo)

My question was related to changing sexual organs. Dr. Ryan Stanton answered it and he was very helpful, but said even with pills and hormone therapy, it's impossible to make my clit into a 5in penis without getting a real sex change. I want to have both sex organs more than anything and would go to any length to achieve it. I want my given vagina so I can birth children of my own, but I want a penis so I can penetrate my partner with something that's me, not plastic. Is it really impossible?

Doctor Answers 1

Neophalloplasty: Maintain Female Genitalia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  Yes, it is possible to perform a phalloplasty to create a neophallus (penis) without affecting the female genitalia.  There are different techniques.  One technique involves creating the penis from forearm skin, which can be disfiguring.  The other technique uses abdominal skin, which typical leaves one with a more appealing abdominal scar, is less invasive, and the cost is typically much less.  The abdominal skin technique is the one offered at our practice.  I was personally trained on this technique of neophallus creation by the creator of this technique.  The new penis would not have a urethra and would not be able to obtain an erection without the insertion of an artificial device, if one chooses.  Please refer to our website for additional information. Prior to surgery, all patients require evaluation by an appropriate psychologist and receive the appropriate counseling.  I wish you the best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.