What Acne Laser Treatment would be best for me and is CO2 Dot good for severe scarring?

Im 21 years old and have box/ice pick scars on my face due to severe acne in my high school years. I went on accutane when i was about 19 and pimples are too much of a problem anymore, i still get one here and there. I have the money to pay for a laser to treat my scars but im not sure which to buy. I saw that C02 fractional laser is the best option for me but i saw something called DOT co2 laser that also is for acne scars. Im just wondering what option would be best for me.

Acne Scars

Thank you for posting your question. CO2 laser treatment, microneedling, fillers, and scar excision are all options for improving acne scars. Multiple sessions of CO2 laser treatment will be needed to achieve improvement, but a combination of the techniques mentioned above can help blending scars with surrounding skin. I recommend meeting with an experienced physician for an in-person consultation to find out the best treatment plan for you. Best of luck.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment

Lasers are a great way to resurface the skin and reduce acne scars. More specifically, there are two lasers that do this exceptionally well. The Erbium laser is a state-of-the-art laser that resurfaces the skin and reduce scars in under an hour. The results are almost instant, and only about 3-4 days of downtime are required. Multiple treatments are recommended for optimal results.

Another option is the CO2 laser. The CO2 laser penetrates the skin deeper than the Erbium; therefore, the results are a little better, but you would need about 7-10 days of downtime. Also, because this laser is more invasive, you do not need multiple treatments like the Erbium.

A consultation with a board certified cosmetic plastic surgeon or a dermatologist would be the first step in treating your scars!

I would highly recommend a high quality pharmaceutical-grade skin care routine that contains ingredients that have been developed to treat acne on the face.

Hope this helps!

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your query. Co2 laser or micro needling rf works best for acne scars. It works on the principle of creating micro injury in the skin which leads to formation of new collagen and thus fills up the scars. It generally takes a couple of sessions for the skin to get even out but it totally varies individually. Hope it helps

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Acne scar and CO2 laser

The fractional CO2 laser and DOT CO2 laser are variations of the same technology. The important thing to remember with acne scarring is that the best results are obtained by using a variety of tried and true techniques including excision of deep scars, fractionated CO2 laser resurfacing, and fillers. Ablative CO2 laser treatments will require occlusive ointment application to your face, so it is best to be sure your breakouts have subsided before embarking on this journey as the ointment can provoke your acne if it is still lingering.

Matthew Brace, MD
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scar Solutions with lasers, fillers, subcision and microneedling/prp--SEE AN EXPERT

Acne scarring requires a combination approach to achieve the best outcomes with lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision and fillers. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with an acne scarring expert. Co2 laser is great but often needs more than one treatment if you have severe scars and should be used in combination with other approaches.  Best, Dr. Emer

Co2 laser for acne scarring correction... what to choose?

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

Fractionated CO2 laser is the best tool for the treatment of your acne scarring. The DOT co2 laser is also a fractionated laser with some features allowing to modifying settings for your treatment. I personally do not think this extra settings change any of the outcomes obtained by any fractionated co2 laser. 

The most important piece for giving you the best result is to determine the best energy penetration, to obtain the best result. 

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey