Should I try to lose weight prior to liposuction? (Photo)

I have never been naturally skinny or overweight but carried excess weight in my buttocks and tricep area. I now seem to gain weight allover. I desire liposuction on my abdomen, flanks, buttocks and thighs. I am currently 5'5" with weight fluctuating from 143-150 lbs. Would it be in my best interest to lose weight prior to surgery? It seems that I have to starve myself to do so.

Be Near Ideal Weight Before Liposuction

Please be aware that my comments here are general and can’t be taken as specific medical advice. I advise my liposuction patients to be within about 10 pounds of the weight they want to maintain before having the procedure done. If you feel you need to take extraordinary measures to lose additional weight, it's probably not a weight you will feel comfortable maintaining. Liposuction is designed to contour areas by removing stubborn pockets of fat. It's not possible to offer an informed opinion based on your photo, but it does appear you will benefit from liposuction. Your skin appears to be in good condition, and it should respond well to your new shape after the procedure. I would also encourage you to maintain a healthy lifestyle that includes exercise and a nutritious diet. Good luck. 

Try losing weight prior to liposuction?

It is ideal to be near your goal weight prior to having liposuction, but not essential.  More important is to carefully manage your weight after the procedure to avoid gaining weight and altering your result.  Watch your weight and exercise after the liposuction to see the best long term results. 

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting

I suggest a formal consultation with a 4D hi def contouring physician.  Often, it is best to be at your natural weight prior to surgery and the fat can be used for transfer.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Losing weight before liposuction

As a general statement patients should be as close to their ideal weight as possible before undergoing liposuction. That said more dramatic results can sometimes be seen in patients who have thicker layers of subcutaneous fat. Simply having more fat to remove can make far more impressive results. Weight loss after the procedure will also enhance the results from the procedure. With gross obesity patients always do better by losing weight first. Patients were slightly overweight can move forward with the procedure with an attempt to lose weight after. In your case you could have the procedure now or try to lose some weight first if possible. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Ideally, it’s best to be as close to your target weight as possible prior to liposuction.

Judging from your photo, it doesn’t appear that you’re very far off from what your ideal weight might be. But generally speaking, it is recommended that you try to reach your target weight prior to your liposuction procedure to ensure optimum results. That said, however, if a healthy diet and exercise routine don't seem to work to shed any extra pounds, don’t feel as though you need to starve yourself in order to get liposuction. Some subcutaneous fat can be very exercise-resistant, which is why liposuction can be helpful. Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon for a more detailed and thorough analysis of your body composition and options for liposuction. Good luck!

Weight Loss and Liposuction

I prefer for my patients to be about 10 pounds or so from their goal weight when looking into liposuction. This allows for the fat cells to be plumper and easier to remove. After the liposuction you can plan on loosing any excess weight to get to your goal weight. Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of Luck.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Weight Loss

It is always ideal to be as close to your goal weight as possible prior to liposuction/ body contouring.  However, there are some patients who simply cannot get to their goal weight no matter what they do and proceed with surgery.  Based on your picture, it appears that you would be a very good candidate for liposuction/ liposculpture.  The results are very predictable and the recovery time is very easy for most patients.  You are welcome to come in for a consultation and see what will work the best for you and your goals.

Shall I lose weight before Lipisuction?

Great question. The goal of Liposuction is to contour your figure by removing fat from unwanted stubborn areas revealing what's underneath. When taken to extremes it can reveal the muscle borders creating an athletic appearance. What Luposuction cannot do is remove tens of pounds in treating obesity. It is important for you to be at your reasonable weight goal( I emphasize reasonable because you want to have the surgery at a weight you can maintain). From your photos you appear a to be a good candidate for liposuction. Communicate with your surgeon on what you absolutely want to achieve ( i.e. Must have outcome) and what would be great if he could achieve (i.e. Best possible outcomes). He should be able to guide you on how to best get there. 
Dr. Peter A. AldeaMemphis, TN

Liposuction - lose weight in advance?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • Actually, I don't recommend someone like you losing weight before liposuction.
  • But if you lose 10 pounds after your liposuction, the fat will not re-accumulate in new areas and you will get a fantastic result.
  • So your ideal before-liposuction weight should be at the upper end of your normal weight.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Should I try to lose weight prior to liposuction?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  It is always advisable to reach your desired goal weight prior to any aesthetic surgery procedure as it will only enhance your results.  Your goal weight should be one where you feel comfortable and can maintain as weight fluctuations will only negatively affect your results.  Hope this helps.