Does the CoolSculpting reduce the appearance of stretch marks? (Photo)

I had a baby 13 weeks ago and I only have a pooch left that I had even before I was pregnant. Since I now have stretch marks, I was wondering if this procedure would help with my tummy fat as well as the stretch marks or will the stretch marks still remain? Thank you!

Does the CoolSculpting reduce the appearance of stretch marks?

Thanks for your question and photo. First, congratulations on your baby and for looking great 13 weeks post pregnancy. You are a great Coolsculpting candidate to address the small fatty pockets above and below your naval. Unfortunately it will not address the appearance of stretch marks. I would recommend a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. Best wishes. 

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting

I appreciate your question.
It will not improve stretch marks but can tighten the skin and remove some fat 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Coolsculpting does not treat stretch marks

Thank you for your question. Coolsculpting is an excellent procedure to help reduce stubborn pockets of fat. For this reason, coolsculpting may be a great treatment for reducing the "tummy fat" that you are concerned about. However, Coolsculpting does not improve or have any affect on stretch marks and it is possible that after your treatment you may see that area hang slightly more since the fat underneath has been reduced. Unfortunately stretch marks are a symptom of skins loss of elasticity in that area and can only be improved upon with surgery. I encourage you to have a consultation with a board certificed Plastic Surgeon. Here at Stillwater Plastic Surgery, during a patients consulation appointment, we give all of the available options for the areas of concern and discuss what would work best for each individual.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting is not used for stretch marks

Coolsculpting is not used to treat stretch marks. It is a great way to treat stubborn, trouble spot areas of fat deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise. Stretch marks can be treated with other modalities such as micro-needling or fractional laser resurfacing.

Mary E. Hurley, MD
Dallas Dermatologist

Coolsculpting will remove the "pooch" but not treat the stretch marks

Coolsculpting is a fabulous way to freeze an area of fat - whether it be on the abdomen, flanks, thighs, buttocks.  It will decrease the fat in a given area by twenty percent.  Cool sculpting will not treat the skin or stretch marks.  If you are interested in treating the stretch marks I would suggest the eMatrix as the best treatment.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with these procedures for the best cosmetic results.

Coolsculpting will work on fat, not stretch marks

Congratulations on your new baby! Dr. Kane provides a fairly detailed response below, and I would echo his comments.

Essentially, if you are interested in treating fat on your abdomen, flanks, or thighs, Coolsculpting is a safe and effective treatment that can provide excellent results. It will not however provide any significant improvement of your stretch marks.

If you do decide on Coolsculpting look for an experienced practice as the results may vary based on treatment applicators and technique.

Best of luck.

Sarah A. Mess, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Stretch Marks

Coolsculpting does not tighten skin, if anything It may make them more apparent but you could do fractional laser or radiofrequency after to give great improvement.  When I combine liposuction with velashape or venus treatments I get significant improvement.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Stretch marks and CoolSculpting

Coolsculpting will reduce the fat but unfortunately will not get rid of stretch marks. There are not many good solutions to eradicate stretch marks. Only a tummy tuck can rid you of some of the marks, those below the belly button.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

SoolSculpting for stretchmarks

Dear PSNY1005:

Congratulations! You also look great 3 months following giving birth. Thanks for sharing your photo.

This is a great question not previously asked about stretch marks (cutaneous striae). Stretch marks are due to the stretching of the skin, particularly the dermis with inadequate collagen formation. There is no good or consistent way to replace the collagen of stretch marks with any technique. Skin excision is the primary option to removing striae of the skin.

CoolSculpting (CS) is "tried and true". It will reduce limited fat in skin bulges and if multiple sessions are performed, a liposuction and contouring effect may be accomplished. Do not expect CS to shrink skin nor improve stretch marks. 

I recommend you consult with a well experienced, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to consider your options. 

Given the flower tattoo you have, and the possibility of more pregnancies, you may wish to consider CS at this time and a tummy tuck following all your pregnancies. You can have the tattoo re-finished following the tummy tuck. 

I hope this has helped! All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and stretch marks

Congratulations on your new child! Unfortunately CoolSculpt is not going to help with stretch marks. The technology is designed to address fat deposits and not change skin quality. Excess skin that hangs and droops after pregnancy is addressed much more effectively with an abdominoplasty procedure. You may consider being seen by a plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Rachel Streu, MD