Does a Double Mastectomy (Prophylactic) Apply for a Malignant Phylliod Tumor As Well?

The excision did not clear margins and looking at a second excision.

Double Mastectomy apply for Phylloides Tumor

This is an excellent question.   The risk of a contralateral breast carrying a phylloides tumor is substantially less than that of invasive ductal carcinoma.    I would recommend consultation with a breast surgeon who is a member of the american society of breast surgeons to assess your risks and make recommendations.

I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Dr. Gill

Malignant phylloid tumor

Usually, phylloid tumor does not recur on the other breast.  If the excision did not have the clear margin, wider excision or mastectomy is an option.  In order to have a better symmetry, you can undergo bilateral mastectomy.  You will need to talk with your breast surgeon to better understand the staging/grading/recurrence rate of your tumor. In terms of reconstruction, you should visit with board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck to you.