2 days post op, is it okay to use surgery scar gels to help aid recovery for Double Eyelid Surgery?

Hello Today is my 2nd day of upper and lower eyelids surgery I have searched for some gel to help reduce surgery scars like Spectragel and contractubex is it Okay to use them on my eyelid ? If yes, when can I start applying it? Another question my right upper eyelid surgery stitches line is higher than the left eyelid, , is it the doctor mistake or because of its being more swelling than left eyelid ? The last one making me worry hope I get your answer soon. . Thanks and good luck Sanaa

Eyelid Surgery Recovery

Thank you for your question. We advise a recovery period, of 5 - 7 days, for an upper eyelids and two weeks for lower lids.  For patients who bruise easily, recovery may be slightly longer.  Cool whitchazel compresses (dampen cotton pads with whitchazel, cooled in the fridge), post surgery, are very helpful in reducing swelling and providing relief.  Sleep with your head elevated, for the first few nights, this will also aid in reducing swelling.  Best of Luck!

2 days postop is it ok to use surgery scar gels to aid recovery for double eyelid surgery.

At this point, your focus should be on reducing swelling. You may need to use cool compressed still. You can worry about the scar after the stitches are removed.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Appropriate post-operative care after Asian blepharoplasty/eyelid surgery

2 days after Asian eyelid surgery you will have significant swelling, and it will be too early to evaluate your lids for symmetry.  Swelling after surgery is rarely symmetric, and will often resolve at different rates from side to side.  

Each surgeon will have his/her preference, but typically for the first week while the incision line is healing an antibiotic ointment such as erythromycin will be prescribed.  

Scar gels should not be applied until the incision line is fully healed, usually ~2 weeks after surgery. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD