Is this possible with a double chin? (Photo)

Can you or freeze my double chin? I'm not overweight all but I have always had a double chin, or rather loose skin under my chin.

Non-surgical double chin treatment options

If you are looking soley for a non-surgical solution, I am finding that the combination of Kybella or Coolsculpting Mini to reduce the sub mental fullness and an energy device to tighten the skin are among the best non-surgical combinations to help your neck concerns.
Kybella is an injection procedure that dissolves the fat an may require between 2-4 treatments spaced 4-6 weeks apart. There is some swelling and bruising potential, with the greatest amount with the first treatment.
The Coolsculpting mini procedure cools the fatty tissue under the submental area and also reduces the fatty tissue under the chin.

As far as energy devices, I would recommend Ulthera if you are looking for something with no downtime, or Profound if you could tolerate some downtime. Ulthera is an ultrasound based energy that heats the underlying tissue and stimulates collagen in response. Profound is a radio frequency microneedling device that allows for the creation of Elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid and hence restores some of the lost elasticity in the neck. It has more visible downtime with the possibility of some swelling and bruising that diminishes in about a weeks time.

Surgical options are also very rewarding and include liposuction or neck lift. I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to help you discuss your options in more detail.

CoolSculpting On Chin

CoolSculpting is a great non-invasive, no downtime treatment for permanent fat reduction in many body areas. Unfortunately, the chin area is not yet treatable with CoolSculpting, although it is in the works. There are other options such as liposuction and injections that can reduce fat at the submentum. You should schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see what your options are.

Coolsculpting Double Chin

According the representatives from Zeltiq, an applicator is in development to address fat under the chin and should be released in early 2015. I would wait until then before having the procedure performed.

To address skin, thermage is effective if you need minimal improvement.

Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Tightening loose skin under the chin/jowls

The best non-invasive treatment for the jowls/neck area for skin tightening is Thermage.  The new CPT total tip has been revolutionary in providing deeper heating and building new collagen in the skin.  The effects on skin tightening in the jowls are fabulous and last two years.  I would highly recommend this procedure for patients who want the best non-invasive skin tightening in a single painless procedure.

Unfortunately the technology to treat the chin/neck area has not been developed for CoolSculpting yet. There is potential for this to be created at some point in the future but it is not an option currently. 

Is coolsculpting possible with a double chin.

At this point, there is no apparatus available to treat the neck with coolsculpting. You might consider traditional liposuction.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting isn't used for tightening necks or double chins

There is not an expected improvement to be gained by freezing the skin of the neck unless excess local fat deposits are there. Loose skin that folds and causes a double chin may not respond well to freezing.  The applicators of the current CoolSculpting model do not fit necks.
Other treatments such as Ultherapy, Pelleve, Thermage, and the newest, ThermiTight or ThermiSmooth are done in my NYC practice to  improve the neck"s appearance in many patients.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Is CoolSculpting possible on the chin?

Currently, the CoolSculpting procedure has not been developed to be performed under the chin or the neck area.  This is an area that may be possible to treat in the future however, as new technology develops with the device.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Freezing Double Chin

Hello Charmaine and thanks for your question. As of now, the CoolSculpting fat freezing procedure cannot be done on the chin, neck and face area. It is currently FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks (love handles). The Ultherapy ultrasound guided skin tightening procedure, however, can be effectively used to treat loose skin underneath the chin. We have used it successfully in our practice to treat double chins. I have attached a link for more information for you. Good luck in your search! 

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon