Am I getting Double Bubble? (photo)

Okay, so ive been reading alot about double bubble after breast augmentation. And im worried thats what i have. i have talked to my doctor about it. And he isnt worried. He said he thinks its that the muscle is still tight and that its grasping the implant. And said now that i started my massages, that it should loosen everything up and Ect. And even though he says hes not worried... im still worried!! I uploaded a photo. And its only in certain light that i see this. Should i be worried??

Doctor Answers 8

Double bubble

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It would be helpful to see the before photos. If the indentation is the original breast fold causing an indentation on the lower pole of the implant, then I would call this a double bubble. It may also be the lower edge of the pectoral muscle.

Either way, this may stretch out with time, and from the photo it looks like surgery was pretty recent. 

Stay in touch with your surgeon for regular follow up. 

All the best. 

Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Am I getting double bubble? (Photo)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you very much for your enquiry and photograph. It does look as if you have got a fold underneath your breast on both sides. This is potentially a double bubble effect and I expect that your implants have been placed under the muscle.

The folds under your breast I think represent the old fold beneath your breasts.

In patients who have had slightly high folds naturally, often the incision is dropped so that they lie in the fold under your breast.

I think what we are seeing in your case is the remnants of the old fold showing through.

I think it would certainly be sensible to go and see your surgeon to discuss the options for treating this area, particularly if it does worsen slightly with time.

Many thanks again for sharing your photographs with us, I hope the area resolves satisfactorily.

Best wishes.

Double Bubble?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your picture.  You do have a mild double bubble issue.  It may settle out with time. 

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Double bubble

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A double bubble may be developing or this area my stretch out a bit with time and soften the "step". Be patient at this point.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Getting a double bubble

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
A double bubble occurs when the breast implant extends outside of the breast envelope with a double bump, like a breast on top of a breast implant rather than the implant contained within. Caution with the pocket and implant size are key. Things can work out for the skin envelope may give and relax and the implant can settle in. Time will tell.

Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Double Bubble after Breast Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi HappyMomma13

It appears that you have a very mild version of 'double bubble' shape after breast augmentation. This is caused by the attachments of the lower edge of the breast gland to the skin.

It appears that your surgery was relatively recent, so it is reasonable to expect that this will improve with time. The pressure of the implant behind the breast gland and skin will help this shape loosen up. Massaging the area will also help the fascial attachments relax.

Good luck with managing this.

Dr Gavin Sandercoe

Double Bubble

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An exam is needed to determine if you have a double bubble.  If your surgery was very recent, your implants may not have settled.  Contact your Plastic Surgeon for an appointment to express your concerns.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 61 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would have to examine you in person to know for sure.  You may just have animation rather than a double bubble.  You should see a BC PS in your area to be examined in person.


Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 35 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.