I had a filling come out and the dentist put in a new filling and said decay went deep. I have a temp crown on right now.

I'm supposed to have a perm crown put on in approx 2 weeks. I'm still having sensitivity to cold and some discomfort but I am able to chew on that side. Is there anything I can do to prevent a root canal or am I doomed? Will cod liver oil speed up the healing process?

Sensitivity to cold and hot ... #DrSarahThompson

You are not necessarily doomed for a root canal, but considering the cavity was so deep and you are so sensitive, it's likely that you'll need a root canal on that tooth in the future.  I am not aware of a true scientific relationship between cod liver oil and the prevention of root canals.  Only time will tell.  I hope this helps.  Click save below my name to follow me on RealSelf, if you have any follow-up questions.