How many inches will I lose after my tummy tuck?

Current waist line is 34". How many inches can be removed after a full tummy tuck with muscle repair? And how much contouring can be achieved ?

A consultation is needed

Thank you for your enquiry. I concur only a consultation with a fully qualified Plastic Surgeon can give an approximate indication as to waist line improvement.

Define your goals

You may be better suited for liposuction for that goal.  Abdominoplasty treats the skin excess and muscle weakness of the abdomen, as well as any fat that is between the belly button and the pubic hairline. Liposuction treats only fat. It can be used to thin out the abdomen, but the skin must be in good condition with no excess, and there should not be muscle weakness. I do not like to combine abdominoplasty with liposuction because of the added risks of fluid collection under the skin, and wound healing problems as well as a significant increase in the risk of blood clots in the legs and lungs (VTE).

Every patient is different…

Thank you for the question. As you can imagine, there is no "standard" number of inches lost after surgery given that every patient who undergoes tummy tuck surgery is different. Factors that come into play when it comes to answering your question include: overall body type, degree of muscle separation and adequacy of repair (plication), type of tummy tuck surgery performed, amount of adipose tissue present, quantity/quality of life is such an surgery performed, post operative maintenance of diet/exercise program…
My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of similar patients and evaluate their outcomes. Doing so you may be able to achieve a level of expectation that is realistic.

Online consultants cannot know how many inches you will lose without an in person exam.  This depends on how much extra skin you have and how far apart your abdominal muscles are.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for an in person exam.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD