Bilateral Gynecomastia, would it leave visible scars? (photos)

Hi, I've been dealing with gynecomastia for quite a long time and decided after a visit to the endocrine to ,my doctor determined that all my hormones were fine but I have a lot tissue and fat in both of my pecs. I would like to know, when I do the surgery, how visible would scars be and the risks of losing sensitivity in the nipples area. Do I need to consider also reducing my nipple size? Doctors suggestions? Should I lose weight before the procedure? Age 25, Weight: 213 pounds. H= 1.66cm

Gynecomastia Surgical Techniques & Scarring

There are three types of surgical treatment options available to treat gynecomastia. The doctor will recommend the one that is best suited to each individual case. The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period. 

Men who suffer from large #areolas may notice that after breast surgery, the skin of the chest muscles will tighten, causing the areolas to tighten and diminish in size. This is a result of the removal of glandular and/or adipose tissue.The excision technique is used on cases of #gynecomastia where excess skin and glandular breast tissue must be removed and the areola or nipple needs reduction and repositioning to create a natural looking appearance. The incision patterns are determined by the specific condition of the patient. The doctor will recommend this procedure which combines the liposuction technique and excision technique to create a natural look. Patients are given specific instructions for the recovery period.                                      

Your #incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.In the future, if you are concerned with scars, with your surgeon's approval you may be able to use scar management treatments such as Biocornuem,  Scar Guard, Scar Fade,  IPL Laser,  Yag 

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Bilateral Gynecomastia, would it leave visible scars?

The scars from Gynecomastia surgery are virtually invisible. The nipples can be reduced in size but there is a risk of more visible scarring. Loosing weight before the procedure would be desirable, if you are planning on loosing weight anyway. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Scarring after gynecomastia surgery

Weight loss before surgery would be helpful. An in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will allow an evaluation and discussion of treatment options as well as potential risks and complications.

Gynecomastia

Your BMI is high. Loose the weight first, then re-evaluate the need to gynecomastia surgery and liposuction

Gynecomastia

It looks like you might be a good candidate for a gynecomastia excision operation. This would include a small scar under the bottom half of the nipple. The tissue is removed and you may even benefit from some liposuction at the same time. Scarring is minimal and you would likely get a good result as the tissues settle down. See a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and more options. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon