How come Board Certified Plastic Surgeons have very different answers to plastic surgery solutions? (Photo)
Doctor Answers 5
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram
How come Board Certified Plastic Surgeons have very different answers to plastic surgery solutions?
BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEONS HAVE SO MANY TREATMENT OPTIONS FOR UNDER EYE ISSUES
Great question. The reason some physicans may seem to contradict each other is because there are many ways to address the under eye area. Some patients may complain of dark circles, others may complain about puffiness, or some saggy skin. There are a variety of ways to address the under eye area with skin care products, chemical peels, a laser treatment, fillers, Botox or even surgery. Sometimes more than one of these treatments can be recommended to address the different areas around the eye or multiple areas of concern. A physician may be board certified in plastic surgery, dermatology or ophthalmology and there is frequently more than one correct way to treat an individual's concern. I hope this helps
You might also like...
Why do plastic surgeons not agree on eye surgery approaches
- The anatomy of the eye is extremely complex.
- There are many different ways to treat it.
- Each way has its advantages and disadvantages.
- The differences vary between groups - different between men and women, different ethnic groups, geographic areas.
- Because of this complexity, every surgeon's experience and patients are different and approaches vary.
- If we all agreed on one approach it would mean we didn't understand the complexity of the under eyelid.
- This was the situation in the 1970s when there was one standard approach that did not work well for many many people. It still works well - for some.
- Board Certification does not mean we all know the one 'right' thing to do. It means we are trained to think and understand the issues and find the best solution for our patients.
- A surgeon who has an approach should be able to explain why that seems better to her/him than the approach of another surgeon.
- Or they may both agree that their different approaches are different routes to the same end.
- After all, driving in and out of any major city, there are many different roads you can take to get to the same destination.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.