Fraxel Laser Stretch Marks

im looking to get this laser done on my belly. b/c i have stretch marks everywhere on my tummy. its very unwanted scars i cant ware a two piece b/c its so ugly. please somebody let me know if this is a good thing to do.

Fraxel Very Effective for Stretch Marks

The Fraxel laser is one of the most effective treatments for improving the appearance of stretch marks. The sudden high stress on the skin that happens during the growth spurt in adolescents and during pregnancy causes a fracturing of the collagen and elastic fibers under the skin, which leads to the striae or stretch marks. The Fraxel creates thousands of tiny microscopic deep columns of damage where the broken collagen is. Over the following weeks, new collagen and elastic fibers are deposited, the stretch marks start getting narrower and tighter, and the skin appears smoother. Multiple sessions are necessary for best results, but there is very little downtime, if at all, after each session. Sun avoidance in the areas treated is crucial for several weeks after each Fraxel treatment.

Fraxel Very Effective for Stretch Marks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fraxel restore will help

Having performed over 1,000 Fraxel restore treatments, many of which included treating stretch marks, acne scars, burns scars and other skin problems in need of collagen remodeling, I can attest that a series (at least 5) of Fraxel restore treatments will improve but nor cure stretch marks in the majority of people.

As a rule of thumb I tell patients that they can expect a 50-75% imrpovement in stretch marks after completing a series, with the understanding that there is no guarantee. Saying that Fraxel restore does not cure stretch marks ignores the fact that many people do not want or need abdominoplasty surgery- those people are simply looking for improvement and have a realistic expectation that the skin will not be perfect.

Good luck.

Min S. Ahn MD FACS

Min S. Ahn, MD, FACS
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fraxel restore will help

Good luck.

Min S. Ahn MD FACS

Min S. Ahn, MD, FACS
Westborough Facial Plastic Surgeon

I have used it!

I first used Fraxel for stretch marks for my cousin after she had our lovely twins!

Since we have used Fraxel in combo with coolsculpting and chemical peels for various other ladies- depending on the type of stretch marks they have. I have also used Sculptra and PRP in combo to get good results.

Remember stretch marks are never going to be exactly back to normal skin but they can be improved.

Here is some good info on Fraxel in case it  is helpful:

Fraxel is a unique laser because it has the ability to rejuvenate the skin in a non-invasive, effective fashion with minimal downtime. It can be an ideal treatment for sun damaged skin on the face, neck and chest. In addition to brown marks, it can used to improve scars, stretch marks, fine lines and wrinkles and age spots.

By placing tiny columns of energy into the skin, the Fraxel laser promotes the body’s natural healing response and development of new collagen. The Fraxel laser is used fractionally treating a patient’s skin in specific areas, while leaving some skin unaffected nearby, allowing for an easier and less invasive rejuvenation.

The net result is tighter, smoother, and more radiant skin.

Treatment with the Fraxel laser begins by first using a numbing cream to make the procedure comfortable. Generally three treatments are needed for great results.  Because the process requires new collagen to form, maximum results take few weeks to show. After each treatment there is about a 1 week period of “downtime” where a patient may experience light redness and discoloration in the skin while the skin is undergoing this healing and rejuvenation.

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

I have used it!

Tanya Kormeili, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologist

Fraxel for stretch marks

Fraxel does improve stretch marks on the abdomen. Do be aware that it is not an eraser.  Multiple treatments will be necessary and it can take several treatments to start to see your results.  In addition to improving the texture, the treatment can improve the color of stretch marks also.

Be sure that you choose your physician based on her training, skills and reputation, not on what lasers she has.  Because ultimately it isn't the laser, but the physician using the laser that makes the difference.

I hope this answer helps. Best wishes.

Fraxel for stretch marks

I hope this answer helps. Best wishes.

Fraxel For Stretch Marks

Fraxel will not completely remove the stretch marks, but it will lessen their appearance, depending on the number of treatments needed. However, it’s also important to know that though Fraxel will treat the scarring, it will not tighten any loose skin.

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel For Stretch Marks

Melda A. Isaac, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon

Stretch marks and Fraxel treatment

Stretch marks can be caused by several physiological and physical changes a body goes through including pregnancy and growth spurts during adolescence.
A stretch mark is basically a scar and will respond to treatments effective in improving scars including Fraxel lasers.

It is important to be aware that stretch marks often occur in areas where the skin is more delicate than areas such as the face where scars can be treated more vigorously.

As with treatment of scars in any location on the body the expertise and experience of the physician providing the treatment will make a big difference in the outcome and safety of the treatment.

When stretch marks are new and still red they are best treated with vascular target lasers such as the V beam.
Early treatment can result in much better outcomes.

Stretch marks and Fraxel treatment

I don't use the fraxel for stretch marks as much as the Vbeam laser

I most commonly see patients with new red stretch marks. At that point I find the Vbeam highly effective. White or older stretch marks are more difficult to treat. The fraxel can be effective but it is a challenging area to treat.

Fraxel Restore can improve stretch marks

Fraxel laser does not work at all to tighten the stomach. However, the Fraxel Restore laser can improve some stretch marks. The excimer laser is bet at repigmenting.

Fraxel for stretch marks

I have tried doing tests on mature white stretch marks with the Fraxel Re:store laser. I have repeated treatment on the same area several times, as we would do during a full series of treatments, and have not seen improvement that is significant. Acute stretch marks, are red and the color can be improved with a yellow light laser such as the V-beam laser, but this doesn't appreciably improve the atrophic thinned out nature that develops in the mature stretch marks.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel for stretch marks

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Stretch marks will improve but not laxity

If your skin is tight, but has striae (stertch marks), Fraxel Restore will definitely help (not 100%). If the skin is loose, then only an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) will help that. Then Fraxel can help with the tummy tuck scar and the striae.