US Doctors Tummy Tucks Do Not Seem As Shapely As Non US Doctors Why?

In my own personal research, which I of course haven't seen every surgeon's before and after work,I feel that surgeons in the United States will leave you with a flat tummy but more often than not, a not so shapely waist line...Is this due to regulations and such? Is it dangerous ? I feel I have checked most major and "popular" surgery cities and while I can't say its so about every surgeon it is about the majority I've seen. Great surgeons and it makes me wonder why? Thank you in advance :)

Non American PSx

I previously trained with American, Canadian and Australian plastic surgeons. The general technique is similar everywhere.  Without questions some surgeons do a nicer surgery than others.  However, the differences are not based on the country, rather the nuances of the surgery by a given surgeon.

In addition to being a good candidate for the procedure (generally slim with some excess skin and fat on the abdomen) there are some things your plastic surgeon may do including focal liposuction above the hips and abdominal wall repair which can help accentuate your curves.  Let them know what you are looking for in this regard.

US Tummy Tucks VS. Other Countries

For the most part the procedure is pretty similar internationally and in all sincerity that is a case by case situation. There are many factors that contribute to what shape a patient will have including, body fat, body shape , skin elasticity, the underlying muscles, etc.

As a plastic surgeon, I depend on my patients to be open with expectations so that I can help them understand the procedure, what it entails and what they can expect from it. I like to be able to get them as close to what they want, but always let them know how realistic that is goal is. As long as surgeons are honest with patients on what they can expect from surgery, most patients are satisfied. – Dr. Ortiz

Juan A. Ortiz, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

In women who do not desire pregnancies, Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement can be used to create a more hourglass shaped figure.  This technique reinforces the abdominal wall with sutures as well as the mesh augmentation.  This results in early satiety, helps patients lose weight and maintain the reduced weight.  The first article published on this was in 1994 by Brazilian surgeons and there are current articles by U.S. authors.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Shapely Tummy Tuck

Hello there

As a non-American I feel pretty certain that this is not a reflection of the techniques used as these are largely standard throughout the world .

A tummy tuck is not a weight reduction procedure . It is an operation to remove excess skin and tighten a lax muscle wall , most commonly after significant weight loss or pregnancy.

It's a bit like having a gown made to fit you . The skin and muscle wall are tightened to fit the person's frame . If that person is slim then the results are much more impressive.

Unfortunately the incidence of obesity in the USA is so high that the surgeons are mostly 'tightening' down to a larger frame and the shape change is not as impressive .

But if you get yourself to a healthy , low body weight before surgery I'm sure you can get a great result in the USA . And a lower body weight makes the operation safer too .

It all comes back to how much effort the patient puts in before surgery .

All the best

Terrence Scamp

Terrence Scamp, MBBS, FRACS
Gold Coast Plastic Surgeon

Body shape influences tummy tuck results

The question you should really be asking is what body shape you like and what is realistic with your body type. For example, internal fat has a significant influence on how much the waist can be narrowed. Another thing is that in some parts of the world, particularly latin america, a curvier figure with fuller hips but smaller breasts may be favored. Larger hips will make the waist appear smaller. All of this should be discussed with your plastic surgeon so that your expectations can be in line with what can be achieved for you.

Richard Baxter, MD

after having seen quite a few disasters from over aggressive surgery performed abroad i think our end results are better

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Shapely Tummy Tuck Results

There are good plastic surgeons in many countries, but there is nothing secret that is done in another country outside of the U.S. Medical information is shared at frequent international meetings. It is also important to realize that unfortunately not everything you read or see on a particular individual’s website is factual. The web has a lot of worthwhile information, but there is no filter.

You may not be able to get the same result with a particular surgical procedure that another patient will achieve. Results depend on factors beyond the individual surgeon or technique, including your particular anatomy. I would suggest having a consultation with a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and discuss your concerns and expectations. Be realistic about the potential outcome before undergoing any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

USA vs foreign

I think that you have to evaluate each surgeon individually.I think that tecjniques will vary from one surgeon to the next but I do not think it has to do with the country.Alot depends on where they train and their experince.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

The tummy tuck itself does little to offer a great postoperative shape.  Liposuction of the flanks and back is the defining element that separates most results.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures and tummy tucks each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Comparing abdominoplasty results

An abdominoplasty with repair of the anterior abdominal fascia and liposuction of the posterior hips, flanks and upper back is a very straight forward procedure.  When comparing results look at the pre-op and post op photos.  As the saying goes if you are going to make a silk purse it is better to start with a piece of silk first.