What's the difference between traditional lipo and smartlipo and is it more invasive?

Smart Lipo

Thank you for your question. Smart Lipo is less invasive than traditional liposuction. Smart Lipo can shrink wrap up to 20% of the skin in the treated region, and can be performed with the safety of local anesthesia in the office setting. I suggest that you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon to share your aesthetic desires and learn more about the associated options.Best wishes,

Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction Techniques -- SmartLipo Laser, Vaser Ultrasound, Body Jet Water

I suggest you go to an expert. I find that the combination of water and ultrasound (VASER) gives the best hi definition result. I think laser does very little for the ultimate outcome.  Best, Dr. Emer

Is there really any difference between SmartLipo and traditional lipo?

If you're comparing smart lipo to tumescent lipo, both procedures involve the administration of numbing fluid into the fat and the suctioning of the fat with standard lipo cannulas. Smart lipo adds an extra step between these two during which the laser fiber is passed through the fat near the skin to promote skin shrinkage. The skin will shrink anyway, but the laser speeds up the shrinking a little bit. SmartLipo is equally invasive to regular lipo and leaves the same amount of bruising and discomfort as traditional tumescent lipo. Old fashioned non-tumescent lipo (aka superwet) which is done under general anesthesia is more invasive and leaves more pain and bruising.

Differences

Traditional lipo in the past had been associated with a more bloody surgery and extensive bruising. Now, most surgeons perform tumescent liposuction which has decreased the bleeding risks markedly. Suction of the fat is still involved, but much safer. During most SmartLipo cases, this type of fat removal by suction is utilized. What sets it apart is that SmartLipo also uses a laser to tighten the skin and it can melt the deeper fat also. This results in a tighter and potentially smoother skin area.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN