What Type of Doctor Should I See for Revision Rhinoplasty?

My first surgery was 1986 from a bad break. In 1992, I had a redo because my nose shifted. And in 2004, after a hysterectomy my right nasal cavity stared to close off and the tip has swollen out to a ball and looks twisted.

I need to have it redone, but I'm scared it will be worse. What type of doctor should I look to fix the problem?

Doctor Answers 6

Revision Rhinoplasty

Revision Rhinoplasty surgery is a highly specialized procedure and should be done by a doctor whom is skilled in these procedures. I would consult several surgeons and look at their before and after photographs. You will look for the surgeon who has many natural looking noses. In my practice I have a book of photographs specifically of revision rhinoplasty surgery which enables me to discuss the procedure fully with my consulting patients. I also use digital Imaging which allows the patient to see the proposed surgical result prior to surgery. This allows an open discussion of the desired aesthetic result. Best regards!

Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 210 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty Specialist

Seek the advice of a rhinoplasty surgeon who specializes in secondary (revision) rhinoplasty to see if you are a candidate. Find a board certified surgeon from either the Plastic Surgery or ENT/Facial Plastic Surgery backgrounds who focuses his or her practice on rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty.

Rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty should produce a nose that both looks good and functions well. Significant advances have been made in rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty techniques over the past two decades. There has been an increased emphasis in the medical literature and at rhinoplasty symposia on the importance of structurally resupporting the nose -- as opposed to simply reshaping the nose.

Revision rhinoplasty frequently involves resupporting the nasal framework with cartilage grafts. If the cartilage from inside the nose (septal cartilage) has not been previously removed, then it can be used to rebuild the nose. In revision rhinoplasty, sometimes it is necessary to use cartilage that is borrowed from either the ear (auricular cartialge) or from the rib (costal cartilage).

C. Spencer Cochran, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 147 reviews

Choice of surgeon for Revision Rhinoplasty.

 You should find a board-certified, facial plastic surgeon experienced with revision rhinoplasty. You also should see many photos of revision rhinoplasties demonstrating attractive, natural results before choosing your doctor.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 421 reviews

Revision Rhinoplasty

Revision rhinoplasty surgery can be complex and difficult. Find a board certified surgeon who does this operation frequently. At any consultation ask the surgeon how many rhinoplasties per year they perform, and how many of these are revisions. Asking to see representative photos of prior patients is reasonable.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Revision rhinoplasty

 Talk to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon. He may or may not recommend additional work. Sometimes the returns of revision after several prior procedures are not worth the risks.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Depends on where you live

In most metro areas there are several outstanding rhinoplasty surgeons who can help you out. Your concerns however are very wise-- revision or redo rhinoplasty surgery is not only more difficult, but the results are not as predictable. Find someone in your area that is Board Certified in either plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery, who has at least a few years experience under their belt. Ask to speak with some of their former patients, look at before and after photos, and even ask your local docs who they would recommend.

good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 149 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.