Is a Doctor Obligated to Correct Restylane Injections?

I went to an experienced occular surgeon for restylane above and below my eyes. I have lumpiness and swelling under both eyes, obvious enough for friends to comment on. I went back to the surgeon and asked about injections to minimze or dissolve the lumps but was instead injected with more restylane under my right eye, which (over two weeks post) made it worse. I would like to have have the restylane under my eyes disolved all together at this point. What is the occular surgeon's obligation to me as a patient and paying customer?

Doctor Answers 3


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

the physician who treated you probably wants you to not only be happy with your result but to look good as a reflection of their treatment. Call or write a letter and tell the physician your wishes and see if they will dissolve the product. If not, then see a second opinion.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Restylane around the eyes is tricky

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with Restylane around the eyes. It is tricky to inject anything in or under the thin skin around the eyes and lumps and bumps can occur. Hyaluronidase is an option to dissolve the material. It can take several injections to work.

You might want to go elsewhere and find a doctor who is skilled at the technique. You most likely will have to pay to have someone else work on you. If you feel confident with your doctor you could bring up the possibility of Hyaluronidase injections.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

He should dissolve the product for free

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you see a different doctor, you would be charged. I unfortunately have to do this more than I would like for doctors who do not know how to use hyaluronidase. I cannot imagine why your doctor would not try to make the lumpiness go away. This is just common sense to make patients as happy as possible, or certainly try.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.