Plastic Surgeon to Have Keloid Removed?

I have a keloid on my right ear. From my ear being pierced. Do I need to contact a plastic Surgeon to have it removed? Or can any doctor do the procedure?

Doctor Answers 1

Plastic Surgen or Dermatologist

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend a plastic surgeon or dermatologist for this procedure. It can be trickier than it appears to have it done and I feel these are the only two specialties experienced in this area.

Post operative care is important. Compression is needed with special earings Steroid injections should be done to prevent recurrence. Some physicians liked using Aldara cream also but a recent paper by Berman et al indicates this is not as helpful as once thought. Interestingly, Vitamin E orally may help but topically applied Vitamin E is of minimal benefit.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.