Can a secondary BA improve my breasts? (Photo)

First BA over a year ago and still not thrilled with the lack of cleavage and overall look of the breasts. I'm not sure if a secondary BA can improve the look or if going bigger would help. Or if I am simply limited by my before. 325 mod plus from a small 34A prior.

Breast Revision

Thank you for your question. First I would like to state that you have a wonderful post op result. If you are still not satisfied with the result it would be best for you to make an appointment with your surgeon to discuss your options. As stated by the other physicians you are limited as to how close the implants can be placed together due to how widely set your breasts are naturally. As always I recommend you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Good Luck!

Can a secondary BA improve my breasts?

Thank you for your questioned pictures. Yes, based on the photographs, I think that revisionary surgery may help, to some degree, achieve closer cleavage and/or larger breast.

As you mentioned, patients undergoing breast augmentation or  revisionary breast augmentation surgery should understand that their anatomical “starting point” will play a significant "role" in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct.  

When it comes to selection of appropriate breast implant size/profile, online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.  

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.  Personally, I find it most beneficial to have a wide range of breast implant types, sizes, and profiles available.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Can my cleavage be improved

Thank you for asking about your breast implant result.

• First of all I think you have a very pretty result.
  • Your breasts are naturally widely set and there is a limit to how much closer they can be made.
  • You do however have a moderate plus profile iimplant - and may do better with a wider implant.
  • This however may mean you have less volume.
  • I suggest you return to your surgeon, discuss your options and together figure out if a new implant is worthwhile for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

May help

In my experience, with widely placed breasts, the best narrowing appearance of the cleavage is accomplished by placing a shaped implant, particularly a shape that is wider than it is tall. My preference would be a Sientra textured shaped oval silicone gel implant. best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS