What makes someone a good candidate for arm lipo? (photo)

If I get lipo will I end up with saggy arms? What can I do now to prepare? I'm getting my trunk lipode so I need my arms to match.

What makes someone a good candidate for arm lipo?

Thank you for the question.  How much skin will "tighten" will depend on the quality of skin elasticity of the overlying skin.  Generally, younger patients and patients whose skin does not demonstrate loss of elasticity (physical findings of stretch marks, irregularities etc.), tend to do better with liposuction surgery.  Many patients who present for liposuction surgery are not good candidates for the procedure.  Ultimately, it is better not to undergo the liposuction procedure if the outcome leaves the patient with skin contour irregularities or other aesthetic problems that he/she is displeased with (and are very difficult to correct). This is one of the many reasons patients are better off seeking consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who have the full "armamentarium" of procedures at their disposal.

Generally speaking, good candidates for liposuction surgery are patients who present with localized areas of diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue and an overlying skin “envelope” that demonstrates good skin elasticity. 

My best suggestion again: make sure that your selected surgeon is a board-certified plastic surgeon giving you good/ethical advice. Best wishes.

Arm lipo

Thank you for your question.  Good candidates for upper arm lipo have fullness with little to no excess skin.  I suggest discussing with your plastic surgeon.  There is nothing special to do to prepare.  Best wishes!

Arm evaluation

Hello and thank you for your question.  Arm liposuction works very well for patients with good skin elasticity.  For patients with excessive skin laxity, an arm lift works better.  The best way to determine the optimal procedure for you is through an in-person consultation.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Arm Sculpting with VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring

Reducing the fat in the arm can cause sagging, which if there is alot of extra skin, skin removal may be needed. I recommend a VASER hi def contouring procedure which in combination with ThermiRF and ultrasound will tighten the skin more and sculpt the arm, if you're a candidate. I suggest you see a body contouring expert for a formal evaluation.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Am I a good candidate for arm liposuction?

Thank you for asking about your arm liposuction.

• You were good to post photos - they show considerable deltoid (upper outer arm) fat - this can be reduced without much risk of sagging skin.
  • However the inner arms also tend to hold fat - here the skin is thinner.
  • If your inner arms have loose skin or stretch marks, your skin is likely to sag after liposuction.
  • Even without loose skin now, the skin can sag if too much fat is removed.
  • So be sure to have your plastic surgeon examine you and advise you carefully before your arm liposuction.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

A candidate for arm liposuction?

Arm liposuction decreases the volume of the upper arm when there is subcutaneous fat present (pinch test) and although no skin is removed, the reduction in weight of the arm usually decreases the sagging and droopiness to some degree.  If there is significant extra skin either before or after the procedure a brachioplasty may need to be considered.  Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to be assessed and to discuss your options.  For most appropriate patients I find arm liposuction is very successful especially when the patient puts her arm into a sleeve and feels that the arm has been debulked and is less heavy and smaller.  You should consider the procedure based on your photograph but this needs to be confirmed with a face-to-face exam.  Enjoy the video on the subject of arm liposuction that is linked to above.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

?good candidate for arm lipo

It is hard to tell from the enclosed photos but I can tell you that you don't see quite as drastic a result with arm lipo as you do with other areas of the body. This being said, it is still a good option for conturing the upper arm and from what I can see on your photo, this could work for you, especially since you are doing another lipo anyway. As always, your plastic surgeon can give you a more definitive answer. Good luck.

Karen Quigley, MD