3 weeks post Labiaplasty, will I get the result I was hoping for? (photos)

I am now 3 weeks post my Labia and Clitoralhood reduction. I was a MESS the first week, but didn't feel too uncomfortable, everything have went smoothly and quite unproblematic. But now I'm starting to worry about my result, I hope that I still have a significantly swelling that will go down, especially around my clitoris, but is that the case, or will I be left with an uneven out-of-proportion- vagina? I'm worried also worried my surgeon took too much on the right side.

Inexperienced surgeons don't know what to do with the hood!

...Don't know how you started out, and don't know "...what you were hoping for..." Your doc didn't get it exactly symmetrical (this is one of the risks of linear/trim technique), but "...close enough..." (S)he didn't know exactly how to reduce the clitoral hood, so if you wanted that you will need a revision. If your surgery was performed by your "general gynecologist, perhaps that is why, "General Gyns don't know what to do with the hood, so they leave it alone & things may end up "top-heavy. If this is a problem when all is TOTALLY healed in a month or so, see a different doc (EXPERIENCED cosmetic Gyn or Plastic Surgeon specializing in labiaplasty & hood work,) & have a revision. Make sure though that your doc has LOTS of experience working with the hood, and can show you AT LEAST 25 before & after photos where he or she has done hood reduction work.

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty question

I reviewed your photos. It appears that most of your right labium minora was removed. You had a trimming labiaplasty. You will probably need a revision to give your desired result. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is much more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend a right clitoral hood flap to reconstruct your right labium and maybe multiple wedge excisions to reconstruct your left labium. I invented the wedge technique over 20 years ago and the clitoral hood flaps about 10 years ago  You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Clitoral swelling takes longer to resolve

The clitoral area is usually the last to normalize if it's been worked on. Give it a few more weeks.

Labiaplasty and hood reduction

It  is difficult to say if you will get the results you want because I don't know what you hoped to achieve i.e. your cosmetic results postoperatively.  This is something you should have discussed with your surgeon.  The problem is most surgeons don't discuss with the patient her post op expectations nor do most surgeon have the experience or skill to achieve what the patient expects post operatively.  I agree he / she has reduced your right side  more than left and your in the clitoral region.  I see where the clitoral area is out of proportion and this might be due to edema  and this swelling might subside.  You will need to reevaluate at 6- 8 weeks after the surgery.  If you choose to have a revision..... make sure your surgeon is a revision specialist!!!  Do not let an unqualified surgeon perform a second surgery on you.

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

3 weeks post Labiaplasty, will I get the result I was hoping for?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately without a picture from before your surgery it is impossible to comment on your current results as your tissues are still swollen.  I see your areas of concern and at first glance it does appear that there is asymmetry in your labia minora resection as well as some excess clitoral hood tissue, but because of the thin tissues in this region they are prone to significant swelling.  Allow your results at least 6-8 weeks to heal, this will give you a better idea as to your long-term appearance.  Hope this helps.