Post reduction revision. Are my expectations over the top? (Photo)

I had the revision that I inquired about from my first post. Doctor said he would 'fix' if I was really that unhappy. I was. He urged me not to because it would defeat the purpose of lollipop. I thought I was getting an anchor and never knew lollipop existed until after waking up. I kept having the pulling feeling when lifting my arm. He said he would try in office, 'snipping' the tissue to relieve but full revision would require back hospital. 20 days post revision. I feel mutilated.

Unhappy after breast reduction revision

Thanks for your questions and photos.  I'm very sorry that you are having such a rough time after your reduction.  Needing a  revision is not uncommon, and I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your post-revision results.  

It is far too early to determine whether that pulling/contracture you have under your breasts will resolve with time, decreased swelling and relaxation of  scar tissue.  After reviewing your photos, it does appear as though you may require a revision.  Without an exam it is impossible to say for certain, but I would likely wait a minimum of 4-6 months to let the tissues heal/relax prior to making the determination of whether to proceed with a revision.  Such a revision should likely be able to be accomplished in the office without going under general anesthesia.

My best advice is to wait, heal, firmly massage the area that's pulling/contracted and have a candid discussion about your future options with your surgeon.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Its always challenging when you get something you thought you were not going to get

and this refers to your anchor expectation but waking up with a lollipop.  Surgeons like lollipops because less scarring.  But some breasts simply need anchors from the get go unless patients willing to accept the need for revisions down the road and without seeing your pre-op photo, its impossible to say. 

Its really difficult to appreciate your results from your photos but at this point, you have to heal before anything else is done.  If you really need an incision across the bottom to make your shape better, assure your surgeon that you are fine with the scars and you shouldn't have to wait the text book 6 months.   As for expectations,  if you're expecting perfect, then they are over the top.  But if you have obvious bumps and bulges, you can expect to have better contours than that.

Curtis Wong, MD