Post reduction revision. Are my expectations over the top? (Photo)

I had the revision that I inquired about from my first post. Doctor said he would 'fix' if I was really that unhappy. I was. He urged me not to because it would defeat the purpose of lollipop. I thought I was getting an anchor and never knew lollipop existed until after waking up. I kept having the pulling feeling when lifting my arm. He said he would try in office, 'snipping' the tissue to relieve but full revision would require back hospital. 20 days post revision. I feel mutilated.

Lipo-lift, breast lift, breast reduction, mastopexy, benelli, augmentation mastopexy

I appreciate your question.

I perform a liposuction breast lift that removes tissue from the areas you don't want such as near the armpit and the lower portion hanging near your stomach. Once I use this to shape the breast I then remove the skin to tighten the breast and create a better shape with nice cleavage. Since I perform this less invasively the recovery time is faster. The size would depend on the proportion with your body versus going for a cup size. It works very well if there are asymmetries. I can also use the removed fat as a natural breast augmentation by grafting the fat back into the breast to create more projection or into the top to create more cleavage. This procedure can also be combined with an implant if needed or wanted.  It should not affect nipple sensation, mammograms, cancer risk or breast-feeding. If you gain or lose weight, the transferred fat can do the same. This can also be used for revision surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery.  

Dr. Schwartz 

#RealSelf100Surgeon 

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Concerns after revision breast reduction surgery…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after revisionary breast reduction surgery.  Although definitive advice would require in person evaluation,  based on the photographs, I think that there is room for improvement and that your "expectations are not over the top".

Also based on your photographs and concerns, it is likely that additional surgery will be necessary to achieve an outcome that you are happier with. In my practice, this would be done in the operating room under general anesthesia, after careful communication of specific concern/goals.  Best wishes. 

Unhappy after breast reduction revision

Thanks for your questions and photos.  I'm very sorry that you are having such a rough time after your reduction.  Needing a  revision is not uncommon, and I'm sorry that you are unhappy with your post-revision results.  

It is far too early to determine whether that pulling/contracture you have under your breasts will resolve with time, decreased swelling and relaxation of  scar tissue.  After reviewing your photos, it does appear as though you may require a revision.  Without an exam it is impossible to say for certain, but I would likely wait a minimum of 4-6 months to let the tissues heal/relax prior to making the determination of whether to proceed with a revision.  Such a revision should likely be able to be accomplished in the office without going under general anesthesia.

My best advice is to wait, heal, firmly massage the area that's pulling/contracted and have a candid discussion about your future options with your surgeon.

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Its always challenging when you get something you thought you were not going to get

and this refers to your anchor expectation but waking up with a lollipop.  Surgeons like lollipops because less scarring.  But some breasts simply need anchors from the get go unless patients willing to accept the need for revisions down the road and without seeing your pre-op photo, its impossible to say. 

Its really difficult to appreciate your results from your photos but at this point, you have to heal before anything else is done.  If you really need an incision across the bottom to make your shape better, assure your surgeon that you are fine with the scars and you shouldn't have to wait the text book 6 months.   As for expectations,  if you're expecting perfect, then they are over the top.  But if you have obvious bumps and bulges, you can expect to have better contours than that.

Curtis Wong, MD