7 months post breast lift/augmentation, having multiple holes still which have pieces of stitches coming out? (Photos)

I'm 7 months post Op and I'm still having multiple holes that have developed (10+), many of which have had pieces of stitches. What are my options. I'm so frustrated.

7 months post breast lift/augmentation, having multiple holes still which have pieces of stitches coming out?

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the photos, it seems to me that your surgeon used Insorb dissolvable dermal staples. These feel like plastic and can break quite easily at this stage. In thin skin, unfortunately they tend "to spit", the body pushes them out. I use these in my abdominoplasty cases where the skin is thicker and even there, sometimes the body pushes them out. You can pick and pull these out with tweezers to speed up the wound closure. You should talk to your surgeon about this issue. Good luck.

Spitting sutures 7 months later?

I'm sorry to hear of your predicament but make sure you know what suture was used so its never used again in any future procedure by any other surgeon.  Nothing you can do except to allow them to pop and expel themselves and if you have small pustules forming, you can see your surgeon to get those opened all at once to minimize your time 'recovering'.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift and augmentation...still spitting sutures

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and augmentation.
  • This is frustrating but you have to wait it out.
  • It appears your skin is sensitive to the sutures your surgeon used.
  • Your body may reject every suture - so it takes a while.
  • Ask your surgeon what kind of material this is so you can avoid it if you have more surgery.
  • You can return to your surgeon to have her/him look for evidence of sutures about to come out and try to remove them all at once...but often there are more to come.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Sutures

Hello, I am sorry for your frustration. It is not uncommon to have spitting sutures after surgery. Typically larger sutures placed just under the skin with have the tendency to spit the most. I would say that as areas pop up, the treatment is to remove the remnant stitch and you should heal up the area. It will stop...as there are a finite number of sutures that are present...once they are gone...they are gone. 

Foreign body

I agree with my good friend below.  The culprit is usually still some retained foreign body (usually a stich).  They should be dissolved by now but sometimes in chronic wounds, the stich will not dissolve.The wound is best explored in the office and even when you don't find anything, just the mechanical action can help flush out the problem.Best Wishes,Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Spitting sutures

From your photographs, it looks to me like you have had what we call spitting sutures. As you describe, the foreign body of the suture usually needs to be removed in order for the area to heal. In my patients, when this happens, there is sometimes a build up of very friable, readily bleeding, tissue. In my experience, this is best treated with silver nitrate that allows the hole that has developed to shrink down such that it can be covered with skin. I know it's frustrating, but at 9 to 12 months all of the dissolvable sutures should be gone. Hang in there. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS