How Big is 300 or 350cc?

I’m getting a prophylactic mastectomy with implant reconstruction. I’m 5’8 and 168 lbs and wear a 36B. The doctor recommends direct implant recon and could put in a 350cc implant, worse case 300cc. He said putting in an expander might not be an option. Why do some patients not have an option to have expanders? Will a 350cc implant look really small on a woman my size? I’m worried that I won’t be happy if my breasts look too small after surgery and would like the look of at least a C cup.

How to pick breast implants.

1)  This is the most common type of question on RealSelf.

2)  It is the surgeon's job to pick the right breast implants, not the patient's. Implant selection is really pretty technical.

3)  Make sure your surgeon REALLY understands the look you want. Mentioning a cup size is not enough. Show your surgeon pictures of breasts you like.

4)  Then your surgeon has to tell you if your chosen look is realistic for your anatomy.  The most common mistake is to go too big.

5)  I recommend that  the surgeon NOT make a final implant choice in advance, because this is just an educated guess.

6)  The surgeon should have a large inventory of different size and shape implants available in the operating room.

7)  Then the surgeon can put sterile disposable implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery, to see what a particular implant really looks like inside you. This is how to make the best choice. A sizer costs only $45, and takes all the guess work out.

8)  Finally, the sizer is discarded, and the correct breast implants (based on what you want and on your anatomy) are opened from the operating room inventory, and put in your breasts to complete the operation.

Choosing implants

Thank you for the question and photos. The choosing of implants is a very crucial and is one that should be done through an in-person exam. Various aspects could affect the choice of implants like breast tissue, body measurements, desired end result and the like. Bra sizes also differ from one manufacturer to another so a carefully selected implant can be able to get you very close to that size. It is always best to visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation for your concern. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Augmentation after prophylactic mastectomy

I am sure that you have a lot to think about if you have decided to undergo prophylactic mastectomy.I would encourage you to focus upon the reason for the surgery and its potential longterm benefits in reducing the risk of breast cancer.  That said, the cosmetic result is important.   A 300 cc implant will produce no more than a B cup given that the underyling breast tissue will be removed.    Exactly how much volume it will produce is dependent upon implant placement, your chest musculature, the thickness of the skin draping over the implant and other factors.   Discuss your expectations in detail with your plastic surgeon prior to the procedure.   I generally do not favor tissue expansion because it will require supplemental surgery to replace the expander with a permanent implant or leave you with an implant with a port (which some women can feel under the skin and find objectionable).  Piggy-backing two implants also has its own problems.  It would be best if you could achieve the desired result in a one stage procedure.  Wishing you the best of outcomes!

Breast augmentation & proper implant

It is not clear to me, why your plastic surgeon has told you that staging reconsryction by putting expander and  then replacing it with a permanent implant is not an option. 300 cc implant is approximately two cups ( B cup). If you are already B cup and want to have a size larger you should consider 400 cc implants. If these impalnts put your breast flaps under undue tension, the only logical option would be to put tissure expanders to prepare enough space to accomodate appropriate size implants. 

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Prophylactic mastectomy and implant sizing

There is no way that I or anyone else can provide you with accurate recommendations regarding implant size for your prophylactic mastectomy without first examining you. Photos can offer some information but not as regards implant size.

There also is no valid reason that I know of that would preclude your ability to have tissue expanders if so warranted. If you want to be somewhat larger than you are now, this would be a potential approach.

You should seek out 1 or more additional consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and then decide what you would like to do and with whom.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Breast implant size

300cc is equivalent to 10 ounces and 350 is about the same as a 12 ounce can of coke. Your Doctor can place different size implants under a sports bra to give you a better idea of what you might look like 

Breast size after implant reconstruction

Because tissue is being removed and you are counting on the implant, and only the implant to give you volume, I would say that you would probably be no bigger than you are now with that size implant. It is possible that that is the largest implant your chest wall can accomodate at the present time. An expander can be used to stretch the skin and muscle over time in order to allow a larger implant to be placed during a second surgery. You might want to ask yoru plastic surgeon if you are a candidate for an expender in order to get you closer to the C cup you desire.

Julio Garcia, MD

Cup size

Without seeing you it is hard to predict actual cup size as a 300cc implant will give a different cup size on about every patient.  Any patient that could have an implant put in could also have an expander put in.  I can not think of any reason that you couldn't.

Gary Hall, MD (retired)
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

The main question is the mount of the breast tissue to be removed.

The use of the expander is to stretch the pectoralis muscle . Your surgeon may have decided to use biological tissue to help to cover the implant and avoid the expansion(Alloderm). The final size of your breast will depend on the amount of tissue removed during the prophylactic mastectomy.Your surgeon can give better answer regarding the size.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant size v cup size

It is difficult to predict what cup size a particular implant size will translate to after surgery. It depend on many factors, including the amount of breast tissue the patient starts with and the overall body frame of the patient. It is hard to say whether a 350cc implant will look too small. If your desire is to bigger than your current breast size, then you may want to go with a larger implant. Make your wishes clearly known to your surgeon so that together you two can decide which size is best for you.

Brian Widenhouse, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon