Dimple Surgery Procedure

In creating dimple surgery, exactly what is taken out from the cheek?

Dimple creation surgery (dimpleplasty)

Individuals born with dimples have them because there is a small "hole" or defect in the buccinator muscle of the cheek. Dimple creation surgery (dimpleplasty) is a surgical procedure which creates this hole by removing a small piece of the muscle. To keep this hole from closing, a dissolvable stitch is placed from inside the cheek to catch the underside of the skin of the cheek and secure it down to the deeper layers. The depth of the dimple is controlled by carefully placing this stitch closer to or further away from the skin's surface.

The procedure can be performed safely and comfortably under local anesthesia in the office. It usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes to complete the procedure and either one or two dimples can be created in a single session. The resulting dimples are both permanent and natural looking, in my experience.  

Best regards,

Dr. Mehta

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dimple surgery is not recommended by me.

God makes perfect dimples and surgeons do not. The dimple usually heals in an unnatural way and is not attractive.