Difficulty Urinating After BA This Afternoon?

I just had my BA this AM and this afternoon I noticed I was having difficulty urinating. My bladder is full and I feel the sensation, but its almost like I have to will myself to go. Can this be related to the pain meds?

There can be many factors that can cause this to happen from narcotics, to anesthesia, and even some irritation from a catheter in your bladder if one was placed during surgery.  If this persists or becomes very uncomfortable then contact your surgeon, but in most circumstances it will resolve on its own in a reasonable time period.

Difficulty in Urinating after BA

Once your bladder becomes overfilled or if you are on narcotics, have anesthetic agents still in your system and some on some other medications you lose the urge or tone of your bladder. Typically an urgent care center does an ultrasound to see if you have significant residual and if so will put in a temporary catheter to drain your bladder.

The usage of narcotics during and after surgery can cause dysuria.  sometimes a temporary catheter is placed to alleviate this problem or sometimes medication is given. Either way it will not be a permanent problem.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

This can occur due to narcotic pain meds given during or after surgery. You may wind up needing a catheter placed, either a single time or left in for a day. All the best. 

Difficulty urinating after breast augmentation.

You do not state what kind of anesthesia was used. Urinary retention can happen after anesthesia or postoperative narcotic pain medication. I personally noticed this when I prescribed Demerol postop. You need to return to your surgeon and have a catheter placed into your bladder for a day. Also, have him/her change your pain meds. Good luck. 

Urinary Retention Probably Related To Anesthetic

Your urinary retention was most likely due to the anesthetic agent used in your augmentation rather than your pain meds.  If your bladder becomes overly stretched, it may lose its muscle tone and you may need an indwelling catheter for 24 hours.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Difficulty urinating after surgery

This problem can be a consequence of anesthesia. You should call your plastic surgeon and, if it doesn't resolve in a couple of hours, you may need to be catheterized.

Uncommon but it happens

After anesthesia urinary retention can certainly occur.  Call your surgeon so he can tell you what best to do.  Often a catheter is temporarily placed to relieve the pressure and then all is fine.  Hopefully this can be done in your doctor's office but if they are closed an Emergency Room visit may be needed.    Good luck and feel better!

Urinary Retention Following Breast Augmentation

Urinary retention is not uncommon after surgery. It can be caused by the general anesthetic given during surgery and can also be aggravated by any oral narcotics.  When this occurs, the bladder becomes overly distended making it difficult for patients to urinate normally.  The treatment is to have a temporary catheter placed to relieve the pressure, and this typically resolves the problem.  This can be done at a med center, but It is typically performed at the surgery center where you had your surgery performed.  Good luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia and Pain Meds Can Cause Urinary Retention after Breast Augmentation

Anesthesia and Pain Meds Can Cause Urinary Retention after Breast Augmentation and make it difficult to urinate.  If the problem persists for several hours you may need catheterization.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA