What difficulties can I expect if I do multiple surgeries all at once, alone?

What can I honestly expect? If I take vitamins, eat well until the surgery can I expect to be ok? I will be doing this alone and need to know what to expect. My surgeries - BBL (shaping), tummy tuck, breast lift, rhinoplasty, small cheek implants. Maybe brachioplasty. I am 27 and coming from large weight loss. I'm afraid to go in for multiple surgeries and just want it to be done.

Can I have multiple procedures done at one time?

It is common to have more than one procedure performed at the same time. It depends on the nature and number of procedures, total estimated length of the procedures, and age and health of the patient. While you are young the number of procedures is way excessive to be done at one time. I would suggest performing the TT, Buttock augmentation and possible the breast surgery at one time( assuming you are healthy). The rhinoplasty and cheek augmentation should be done as a second stage. Of course, you would have to be examined to verify the appropriateness of the above procedures. You need to consult with a Board Certified PS who also has extensive experience with performing the BBL. Good luck!

Possible Difficulties with Multiple Procedures in One Surgery

All surgical procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Information that you read online may not apply to your personal situation.
It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with the procedures included with a Mommy Makeover. . Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

That is too much at one time even if the plastic surgeon is an expert at all of them.  In a best case scenario, I could perform BBL, full tummy tuck, full breast lift, complete rhinoplasty, and extended brachioplasty in 7 hrs.  

I think the most I would consider doing at one time would be BBL or tummy tuck and breast lift or rhinoplasty.  The others can be done later.  

Multiple surgeries after weight loss

First off, you do need to consider the emotional and physical impact of having multiple procedures. You will not be able to drive yourself for a while right after surgery, and you need help around - whether that is at an aftercare facility, or from a friend or family member. The types and combinations of procedures you described are likely too many to do at the same time, in my opinion. Weight loss patients typically have to have more than one surgery to correct all the loose skin. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon who can counsel you about the best strategy to accomplish all of your goals, in the safest and most efficient manner.

Good luck and congrats on your weight loss!

Dr. Michelle Spring

Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss

I advise patients like you who have lost a great deal of weight to find a board certified plastic surgeon to be your partner in this final part of your journey. As you know firsthand, losing a large amount of weight is a challenge--it's an investment in your health and future. You will benefit from an expert to support you and guide you in decisions about plastic surgery to put the finishing touches on the new you.

Speaking generally, I would not recommend having all the procedures you're considering at one time. You would be in the operating suite for hours and recovery would involve discomfort in several different areas.

I do sympathize with your goal of minimizing the number of times you "go under the knife." (For one thing, you might look for plastic surgeons who offer IV sedation instead of general anesthesia--that can ease the trauma of surgery.) But you need expert input. For instance, what if you do decide to have brachioplasty? That procedure makes a natural combination with breast surgery. I say that not to prompt you to think about more surgery, but to underscore the need for a trusted advisor. Arrange consultations with competent, board certified plastic surgeons with impeccable reputations and experience working with weight loss patients. Then listen carefully to their input and make the decisions that are right for you.

Elliot Jacobs, M.D.

Multiple Procedures at the Same Time?

Combination procedures may be performed together. Whether you are a reasonable candidate, however, for a combination of procedures depends on your anatomy, the extent of the abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), the complexity of the breast surgery, your medical history, realistic expectations of the outcome and an understanding of the pros and cons of the various procedures.

Most patients prefer undergoing one anesthesia and one recovery period which is usually more cost effective, but many surgeons would prefer performing these procedures in 2 separate operations to diminish the potential for complications. Having stated that, most ethical experienced surgeons would feel that the combination of procedures that you listed would be excessive to perform at the same time.

Safety should always be the main concern. It is generally recommended that the length of elective surgery be less than six hours. The procedures should be performed in an ambulatory facility that is accredited by one of the national organizations like the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgical Facilities (AAAASF) or in a licensed hospital. For many combination procedures, I would recommend an overnight stay at an appropriate facility where you can be continually monitored.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with the plastic surgeon and have a consultation to see what is safe and makes the most sense for you.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon