Breast Augmentation Procedure for Tubular Breasts?

I'm considering Breast Augmentation to improve minor tubular breasts. I am a 34A with a high breast fold and minor tubular shape. I have been told that surgery on my breasts would result in a double bubble effect as a new fold would need to be created, which gravity would improve in time, is this likely to go?

Also, is it completely wrong for the surgeons to simply do a standard augmentation on tubular breasts? Is there a different procedure? I have been told my surgery would involve releasing the constricted tissue however should they be doing more? Thank you

Tuberous Breasts and Implants?

Thank you for your question and picture.

Your picture demonstrates breast ptosis probably with some degree of constriction/tuberous anomaly.

Sometimes for “minor tubular breasts”  breast augmentation is all that is necessary to improve the appearance of the breasts  significantly. Although a “double bubble effect” is a potential complication it is not necessary an outcome of the procedure ( usually is not) is.

Tuberous breasts  generally have a very narrow base and usually a long skin envelope. In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a breast lift can be done through an incision around the areola, making the breast into a more rounded shape that the patient will be happy with. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary.

You should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that you will need to be patient.

The incision is usually confined to around the nipple/areola and may require a vertical/horizontal incision as well. The procedure involves making internal incisions to release the tight breast tissues, making a larger space for an implant, rounding out the lower breast crease, and correcting enlarged and protruding areola.

Make sure that your surgeon has experience with this specific procedure and is a board certified plastic surgeon.

Augmentation of the breast is a great procedure for tuberous breasts

Some of my happiest patients are those who have presented with tuberous breast. I like to put the incision around the lower half of the nipple areolar complex, release the breast constriction which is making the high grease and split or unfold the lower half of the breast tissue to cover over the implant. I usually go sub mammary if there is enough breast tissue in the upper half of the breast or in a dual plane under the muscle above and under the breast bellow if there is inadequate breast tissue in the upper half. With tuberous breast I feel strongly you should use a textured silicone gel breast implant. Not infrequently the nipple areolar complex is large and the breast tissue seems to bulge through this like a hernia. In these cases I will add a peri areolar mastopexy to correct this condition. It works very nicely,

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Breast enhancement for Tubular breasts?

Hi there-

Depending on the extent of the lower pole constriction (which give the breasts the tubular shape), various methods may need to be brought to bear on your behalf in order to achieve a pleasing, round shape.

I do not agree that surgery on patients with tubular breasts always results in a double bubble that needs to be given time to improve. With good technique, the breasts are round and pleasing immediately. This does usually require a peri-areolar lift technique as well.

Reshaping breast tissue much more important than implants for tubular breasts.

Hi.

I urge you not to have a simple breast augmentation if you have tubular breasts.  In fact you don't even need breast implants, except to go bigger. 

The key steps are releasing the base of your breasts and usually making the areolas smaller ( a modified breast lift with a scar around the nipple).

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Augmentation of Tuberous Breasts

Tuberous Breast also known as Constricted Breast or Snoopy Dog Nose Deformity describes a spectrum of different extents of breast asymmetry and deformities which have in common tight constructing breast side walls, a high breast fold and large and pouting areolas.

Their correction is best done through a periareolar incision through which the constrictions are divided with several radial cuts (center to periphery) and correction of the under the breast fold and areola as needed. Augmentation an appropriately picked implant, placed in the dual plane (under both muscle and breast gland) done in this fashion gives good results and does NOT always end up in a double-bubble deformity.

To know everything you need to know about BREAST AUGMENTATION, follow the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Breast augmentation with tubular/constricted breasts

Joey, As you note there are varying degrees of the tubular breast deformity. Although the techniques are close for a traditional breast augmentation there are technical details that will help achieve a better short and long term result. I prefer to use either a lower based areolar incision or an incision all the way around the areola (depending on severity). I also like to place the implant partially under the muscle to give a more natural upper and inner breast look with better coverage.
I hope this helps

Best treatment for tubular breasts

You bring up a very good question - can you simply do a standard breast augmentation for tubular breasts? The answer is no! You need to see a board-certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in tubular breast reconstruction, as the procedure is different than that of a standard breast augmentation. I have found that a breast implant in conjunction with a periareolar incision allows for the highest degree of control and accuracy when placing the implant for tubular breast patients. This surgical technique results in a natural, symmetrical, and full breast appearance. In order to restore a more ideal and rounded breast shape, you may also need a breast lift along with the augmentation. Your next step should be to consult in person with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with tubular breast reconstruction. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Augmentation Mastopexy for Tubular Breasts & Ptosis

A #mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis.
However, many patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness, if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. This is called an #AugmentationMastopexy. Also, the procedure will create a nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.
Those with #sagging breasts due to past pregnancies, breastfeeding, genetics or aging are ideal candidates for Augmentation Mastopexy. Secondly, asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) can be addressed during this procedure.
#DevelopmentalBreastProblems can also be focused on. This includes if a breast is lower than the other, they vary in size, and, Tuberous Breast Deformity conditions.
However, it is extremely important to select a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience with cosmetic breast surgeries. Be sure to look at before and after photos of the surgeon's actual patients, and read patient reviews.

Tuberous breast correction

Tubuerous breasts need more than breast implants to improve their contour.

Tuberous breast deformity involves a constricting ring that grows around the breast base. This ring stops the horizontal and/or vertical expansion of the breast, leading to constricted appearance with large areolas and irregular nipples. Surgery is necessary to release constricted tissue, and implants may be placed to enhance volume. 

Tubular Breast Augmentation

In a tubular or constricted case the lower pole requires release and the infra mammary fold  needs to be lowered. This is done through a peri areolar incision which makes it easier to define the new IMF. If the old attachments of the fold are properly released then a double bubble deformity should not occur. The most common cause of this deformity is an attempt to lower the crease through a sub muscular plane. An augmentation alone can sometimes work in very mild cases, but usually a periareolar lift is necessary.