What is the difference between ultrasound lifting and silhouette lifting?

I am considering a procedure to tighten and lifting the skin on my face. Could you please tell me the differece between the ultrasound lifting and silhouette lifting and which would give the more dramatic longtime results?

Silhouette Lift - Minimally Invasive, Less Painful

Ultrasound lifting or tightening  is one of many techniques used to lift the tissues of the face and neck. The thermal effects are applied to the deeper layer of the skin and by doing so new collagen formation occurs. The Silhouette Lift relies initially on the mechanical effects of lifting the skin and subsequently there is new collagen formation caused by the placement of the small cones which are placed beneath the skin. Ultrasound treatment can be uncomfortable and may require cooling fans, relaxation techniques, squeeze balls and if necessary oral analgesia . Usually one treatment  may be required. Silhouette Lift usually involves three sutures per side of the face and can be done under local anesthesia. It is a less painful procedure than ultrasound. Regarding longevity of the procedure there have been no controlled studies that I am aware of comparing the  two techniques. Most likely the results would be comparable. The difference probably is the comfort level of the procedure. There might be a slight difference in cost comparison, however, both seem to be safe procedures with photographable results. They are probably best for patients with earlier signs of aging. Patients with more advanced signs of aging are likely better serve with the traditional face lift procedure.

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lifting the skin and skin tightening

The best procedure I have found to lift and tighten the skin is the Thermage procedure.  I have seen patients relate that they had little effect with ultrasound and a great deal of pain. We have had great results with all areas of the face and body in tightening the skin.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience with Thermage and lasers.

Michele S. Green, MD