Did I Make a Mistake? I Think I Looked Better Before My Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I'm really torn. I feel like I looked better before my mommy makeover. These photos were taken before and two months post op. I still can't fit my clothes. Any idea what's going on here? Tips? Am I swollen or did I make a horrible mistake? :(

At What Point Should I See The Final Results Of A Mommy Makeover?

Dear Laura,

It appears you had a really good Mommy Makeover.  Your abdominal incision is low, you have no dog ears, and you can wear a bikini to cover the scar.  The scar itself is still dynamic, that is the redness in the scar is because there was tension at the suture line and the scar needs to mature.  To decrease the swelling in the scar and help the scar turn from red to white, I recommend tape or steri strips with very strong glue laid directly on the scar.  This will decrease the thickness of the scar as the tape teaches the collagen to lay flat, and the sooner that happens, the sooner the redness will disappear.

In the recovery from a tummy tuck, there is swelling in skin, fat and muscle.  The muscles were separated during pregnancy, and your surgeon's repair of the muscles caused a great deal of swelling in the muscles.  This swelling begins to decrease at about 2 months, and will take probably another 3-4 months before that swelling is totally gone.  This may be part of the reason why you don't fit in your clothes quite yet. 

Your belly button (umbilicus) is appropriately positioned, and it appears that your surgeon took out all the skin from your belly button down to below the top of your pubic hair, which is one sign of a well done tummy tuck.

Therefore, given the information you provided, including pictures, I believe it is appropriate to conclude you chose a well trained and experienced plastic surgeon.  There is normally some depression built in to the recovery from this type of cosmetic surgery.  At this point, give yourself and your surgeon a break, tape your abdominoplasty scar with your surgeon's permission, and give time, time.

Possible Swelling 2 Months Post Op

Most likely you are experiencing a lot #swelling and inflammation. Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake.  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Did I Make a Mistake? I Think I Looked Better Before My Mommy Makeover?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Given that you are only 2 months out of surgery, it is still too early to evaluate the end results of the procedure performed. I would not be surprised, given that many patients second-guess their decisions and/or experience post operative “depression”, if you are pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed many months from now.

I have attached some advice I provide to my patients prior to undergoing mommy makeover surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Still can't fit into my clothes after TT 2 months ago

I know it's difficult but try not to be too critical, you are afterall only 2 months post-op your mommy makeover.  Everything should settle at about 6 months so try to be patient and re-evaluate at that time.  Watch your activity level, keep to a healthy diet and follow up with your surgeon and I suspect you will be happy with your results! Make sure to discuss your concerns with your PS so your progress can be monitored.  ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Yes it appears based only on the posted photos there are some issues in the surgical planning and performance. Best to seek/obtain IN PERSON second opinions from ON<Y boarded PSs 

Mommy Makeover

Thanks for the photos.  You are only 2 months out from surgery and there is still some swelling .  Give this area 6 months to completely heal.  You contour should be nicely improved at that time.

Dr. ES

2 months Post Op Mommy Makeover

You are still in the healing phase.  It appears you have had a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation. It is too soon for the final result. Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon to verify you are healing as expected.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Results of a mommy makeover.....good or bad

A mommy makeover generally means breast improvement,  abdomen improvement, thigh and flank improvement, arm improvement, and sometimes even a face lift  (some variable combination of these).   You appear to have had a tummy tuck and a breast augmentation and you appear to be within the first 6 weeks after surgery.....possibly  the first 4 weeks.   Anyway it is way to early to worry.  The swelling in your breast will subside.  You abdomen will lose the swelling and be flat.  You should wear a supportive bra and am abdominal binder-girdle ( Dale and Nordstrom)to push the swelling away.  You scars are pigmented and possibly a little hypertrophy.  Ask you surgeon to prescribe BrandMDs .....Retin A-Hydroquinone .....( HQRA+)  which is applied at night to decrease pigment.  This can be also used on breast scars.   Let the cream dry and then apply the best scar cream in the world which is bioCorneum, a pure silicone and sunscreen.  Let this dry and go to bed.  In the morning apply only the bioCorneum after your shower.   Let it dry and less is better than more for the application. Diligent and somewhat evangelical efforts by you, the patient, produces wonderful results.   Be patient.  In the early days patients often think they look not so hot.   They are still healing and will be happy in 6 months when healing is 90% complete.  My Best Dr C

Need more time to judge the results

It is early to tell what your final result will look like.  Give it time to resolve.  Your breasts do look a little on the low side but remember it does take time to resolve.

I don't think you made a mistake but time will tell.

It's too early to make a pronouncement after mommy makeover as evidenced by the biologic activity in the incisions. The patient and I'm confident you'll be pleased with the results.