Diastis Recti for Male?

I have bulging on both sides of belly button with pain and swelling. I can not bend over without pain and swelling. I can not lay on my side due to pain from rectus ab. sliding down. I wear a wrap designed for diastis recti and that decreases the pain dramatically. I injured my abdomen three years ago at the gym on an ab machine. There was sudden swelling and tightness. I have had 2 cat scans, 2 mri's, colonoscopy, and small bowel follow through. All were neg. Thanks, 

Doctor Answers 5

Sounds like a hernia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Yes, men can have rectus diastasis but your symptoms are consistent with abdominal hernia.  I recommend that you an experienced board-certified general surgeon sooner rather than later.

Nashville Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Reconstructive Surgery Can Help Painful Abdominal Bulge

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sorry to hear about your symptoms, but the good news is that a reconstructive procedure may alleviate the bulge and the pain.

Surgically reducing the bulge and reinforcing the abdominal wall where the bulge occurred will probably eliminate your symptoms.

The specific technique is best determined during consultation and physical exam. Bring along copies of your radiographic studies (preferably on a disc), so your surgeon can incorporate this information into his/her recommendations.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

Male diastasis recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Typical diastasis recti should not cause the symptoms you have.  It sounds as though you have looked into this problem somewhat, but probably need a general (abdominal) surgeon to advise and direct you.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Pain and sweeling at belly= herniae and not rectus distasis or both?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

perhaps  you got both herniae and  rectus diastasis, yes it can be  solved  both of the problem with a reconstructive surgery and  a posterior compressive elastic  garment 

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Need repair

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It certainly sounds like you must have torn the rectus fascia 3 years ago.  The only choice,

outside of wear a support garment, is to repair the injury.  This can be done through an

abdominoplasty approach.  It may be well worth it.  I would explore the possibility of 

insurance coverage.  Good luck.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.