Diastasis Recti, Possible Hernia and Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 32 and 5'3" 148 pounds. I had 2 horizontal c sections & 1 vertical c section. My children were all over 10 lbs l currently would like to lose another 10lbs but between bfing and the pain in my belly it has been difficult. I saw a gastro surgeon and have a CT scan scheduled. I would love to get a TT because of the extra skin, but I am not sure who to see. This surgeon, a general surgeon, plastic surgeon? Am I a good candidate for TT? What steps do I need to take in going forward?

Doctor Answers 10

Plastic Surgeon is your Answer

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best time to do a tummy tuck is when you are done with pregnancies and your weight is close to normal. By your photo, you look to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck will address the loose skin, muscle wall laxity and possible hernia.  Complete your evaluation with your gasto doctor and then see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Saint George Plastic Surgeon

See a Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

See a Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery for a tummy tuck consultation. A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) removes the extra skin and repairs the diastasis rectus. You also mentioned a hernia which can be repaired at the same time. Extra skin and diastasis rectus do not cause pain, so have your belly pain thoroughly checked out as you are doing. Don't expect the tummy tuck to correct your abdominal pain - that is a separate issue.

Armin Moshyedi, MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Who should I see for a tummy tuck?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and for your photographs.  While you will need to be formally examined it seems clear from your photographs that you have a significant amount of loose skin and most likely have significant diastasis of the rectus abdominus muscles.  These are the washboard muscles of the abdomen which separate with childbearing, particularly with a larger births.

It is not clear to me what is causing your pain, so certainly, you should continue to evaluate it to make sure there is nothing untoward. Barring any problem I would strongly recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon who can give you appropriate options for your tummy and go over the details of abdominoplasty surgery with you. 


Best wishes.

You might also like...

Ask Your General Surgeon If Tummy Tuck Can Be Done By Plastic Surgeon At Same Time As Hernia Repair By Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. You do appear to be a candidate for a full abdominoplasty or tummy Tuck.

If you have a hernia in addition to your diastasis, then a general surgeon should do your hernia repair.

In my practice it is common for the general surgeon and the plastic surgeon to both operate together at the same time so that the hernia can be repaired by the general surgeon and the tummy Tuck and diastases repair done by your plastic surgeon.

See a plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A plastic surgeon can provide easy access to the hernia. He/she can either repair it or have a general surgeon come into surgery and repair it while you are asleep.

Which doctor to see

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would start with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  It appears that you would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck, and that is often a good time to get the hernia repaired as well.  I am a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon as well as being Board Certified in General Surgery.  You may want to search if there are doctors in your area who have both of these certifications.  Good luck.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Possible abdominoplasty candidate

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Assuming that you are not planning on having any more children, you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  You definitely should see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Kenneth L. Stein, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon

Diastasis Recti, Possible Hernia and Tummy Tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the attached photo, you are as good a candidate for a tummy tuck as they come. This procedure will:

  • Remove excess skin
  • Remove excess fat
  • Tighten the abdominal wall

The correct physician is a board certified plastic surgeon. If you have a hernia, your surgeon may want to have a general surgeon involved . 

When you ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S.

Thank your for your question, best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Get several consultations with well trained board certified plastic surgeons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Thank you for the question and photo.  You are a terrific candidate for a tummy tuck which will removed the excess skin laxity, tighten the abdominal wall, and remove the c-section scars.  I would recommend having multiple consultations with well trained board certified plastic surgeons that can show excellent before and after photos.

All the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 170 reviews

Good candidate for tummy tuck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Based on your photos and description, you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck or abdominoplasty consists of 3 components; skin removal, muscle tightening and fat removal.  Because of recent style changes (low cut jeans) tummy tucks now include removal of the "muffin top" and extension into the hips and back.  Make sure you see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your consultation.


Good Luck!

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.